Hello, advice with turtle tank/ paludarium/ scape thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrookedFingers

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, this is my first post here.
I already have some really low maintenance setups, but this will be my first more serious scapey thing, so even if I have a pretty detailed plan I wanted to hear some expert opinions ;)

I am preparing a 72L tank for my baby razorback musk turtle, Gene. His species should (hopefully) allow for a planted tank with fish, and he will need a basking platform so, finding those pre-made plastic platforms really ugly, I set my mind on making a paludarium with a planted shelf on which (s)he can haul out should he wish to do so.

The shelf will probably be approximately 12x28cm, sculpted in fimo clay with plexiglass strengthening the bottom. It will be siliconed in the back right corner, with a plexiglass triangle supporting part of the weight. The rest of the weight should be carried by a large piece of driftwood. I'll try to add images to better explain what I mean:
IMG_20161004_214338.jpg

IMG_20161004_200106.jpg

IMG_20161004_195356.jpg

On the shelf I'll probably plant a mix of terrestrial (fern, soleirolia) and emersed plants (Hemianthus callitrichoides, Utricularia graminifolia), with different substrates and umidity levels.
The driftwood will have creeping moss and Anubias nana.

On the bottom I plan to put in substrate dividers. In the left back corner I'll plant DHG, HC and maybe a little bit of UG, wedged between river rocks, in fertile substrate. The front will be just plain river sand, so my turtle can freely dig in it. I'm unsure of what to do with the left back corner, the one under the planted shelf.

I don't plan to use super high lighting, maybe a LED bulb added to my turtle's UV, nor CO2, but since I'm not interested in superfast growth I don't think it'll be a problem. I think the turtle should provide adequate fertilization!
I'll use a canister filter, and I'd like to build the intake tube into the platform.

I would like to add 6-8 white cloud mountain minnows.

I think that's all, sorry for the long post!
Any advice or suggestion would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Make sure any edges of the plexi glass are sanded can be quite sharp when cut.

I've kept frogs and geckos not Tuttle so,
With that some materials I've use or seen others.

Great Stuff - fills in cracks of any work with rocks or foam. After its cut and sealed in black silicone makes the hard scape support itself and look better.

Foam board - used to make rocks and other materials that normally might too much weight.

Raw cork bark

And nice piece of drift wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've never been able to find any kind of suitable foam where I live, that's why I've been thinking of using polymer clay.

I've never been able to find any kind of suitable foam where I live, that's why I've been thinking of using polymer clay.

I unfortunately can't see your pictures, but I think the clay will work. You will of course need to seal it with some type of aquarium safe sealant. Most use something like Drylok

I've used rigid polystyrene from Home Depot. Polystyrene is chemically inert except with hydrocarbons, not present in my tanks. I cut the pink boards to shape and then apply great stuff to seal between pieces.
Then paint, apply black Silicon and when wet apply a texture like dried moss or sand. Wear gloves when you do this silicone and hands don't mix.

I've used rigid polystyrene from Home Depot. Polystyrene is chemically inert except with hydrocarbons, not present in my tanks. I cut the pink boards to shape and then apply great stuff to seal between pieces.
Then paint, apply black Silicon and when wet apply a texture like dried moss or sand. Wear gloves when you do this silicone and hands don't mix.

There is no "Home Depot" or "Great Stuff" where I live :ROFLMAO:
Anyway, the clay is not really what I'm worried about, as I've read that it should be aquarium safe even without sealants. I'm more worried about the stability of the whole thing, and a bit unsure about my planting choices.
Thank you both for replying!

I wasn't thinking in terms of the clay being aquarium safe, but rather for keeping the water of the clay itself. Without pictures I really can't comment on the stability of what you are working with - but I assume it is partly supported by submerged driftwood from what you're saying. Curious as to the size of the shelf since you talk about planting it - it would take a pretty large shelf to support the soil and list of plants you have mentioned. In my experience several of the aquatic plants you mention require higher light and more experience with keeping, like the DHG, but maybe you are already familiar with those? The white cloud minnows should be fine with your turtle.

Uhm, did I make a mistake in uploading the pictures? They show on my previews and I can see them posted.
I was thinking of sectioning just about half of the shelf to actually fill with dirt and land plants, and on the other half grow UG and HC rooted in moss or something like that, so hopefully it will be light enough.
I've read that both DH and HC can survive pretty well in relatively low tech setups, they just don't grow a lot. If anyone has any experience in this regard I'd be happy to hear them (especially if they disaegree!). About UG, I'm sure I can make it survive somehow, as I'm growing over a dozen other carnivorous plants :D.

Uhm, did I make a mistake in uploading the pictures? They show on my previews and I can see them posted.
I was thinking of sectioning just about half of the shelf to actually fill with dirt and land plants, and on the other half grow UG and HC rooted in moss or something like that, so hopefully it will be light enough.
I've read that both DH and HC can survive pretty well in relatively low tech setups, they just don't grow a lot. If anyone has any experience in this regard I'd be happy to hear them (especially if they disaegree!). About UG, I'm sure I can make it survive somehow, as I'm growing over a dozen other carnivorous plants :D.

My experience with dhg in lower light setups is it doesn't grow but algae grows great on its leaves. Ended up with a giant tuft of algae. As far as clay what is the clay you are using and is it going to be fired? I'd be concerned with the weight of the platform just being held up with silicone on plexi glass shelf. Perhaps could also use clear plastic columns as more support? Or something similar. Or perhaps support that comes from above?

The clay I'll use is fimo, a polymer clay that I've seen has been used by other aquarists with no ill effects. It is fired in a regular kitchen oven and it is non toxic.
How low was your low light setup? Did the DHG eventually die? Did you have snails and/or shrimp?

I was hoping to avoid very visible and artificial-looking supports, so I was thinking of gluing the piece of driftwood in the picture to the platform, plus another one I just got today to put underneath, for added stability. Do you think it won't be enough? I guess I'll see and if it doesn't look sturdy enough I'll add a couple tubes as you suggest :)

Back
Top Bottom