Hello all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nebulous

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I have just started a fishy cycle with a new 6.5 gallon bookshelf tank from petco. This is my first tank in years and I am remembering how much I love the hobby. I know that fishless cycling is the way to go now but the fish were bought and in the tank before I had a say in the matter. I just started seeing nitrites yesterday so I am on my way in regards to the cycle. Thought I would stop in and introduce myself and hopefully get to know the community!

nebulous said:
Hello everyone! I have just started a fishy cycle with a new 6.5 gallon bookshelf tank from petco. This is my first tank in years and I am remembering how much I love the hobby. I know that fishless cycling is the way to go now but the fish were bought and in the tank before I had a say in the matter. I just started seeing nitrites yesterday so I am on my way in regards to the cycle. Thought I would stop in and introduce myself and hopefully get to know the community!

It's good that you know the fishless is the way to go. But who made you get the fish? And what fish do you have in there?

My GF bought the fish while I was out of the house :) I have 3 glofish (danios) and 3 rummy nose tetras right now. I'll post a pic of the tank soon. I really like the tank so far other than the size. I had a 55 gallon ciclid tank for years which is in storage due to lack of room to set it up.

nebulous said:
My GF bought the fish while I was out of the house :) I have 3 glofish (danios) and 3 rummy nose tetras right now. I'll post a pic of the tank soon. I really like the tank so far other than the size. I had a 55 gallon ciclid tank for years which is in storage due to lack of room to set it up.

I'm sorry to say that the glofish don't belong there. They are modified versions of the zebra danios, as you already know. They have a recommended minimum of at least twenty gallons because of their activity level.

Yes, I know that the tank isn't big enough for the danios but since the 5 year old picked them out taking them back to the store isn't an option. Hopefully I can find a place to set up the 55 gallon soon.

Not only that but the bookshelf tank I have is a long short tank so they do have room to swim back and forth as they require.

nebulous said:
Not only that but the bookshelf tank I have is a long short tank so they do have room to swim back and forth as they require.

How long? If they can't go back then I'm not sure what to say. I have zebra danios. They're in a twenty-nine, and I wouldn't put them in anything lower. But that's just in my opinion and experience.

nebulous said:
Yes, I know that the tank isn't big enough for the danios but since the 5 year old picked them out taking them back to the store isn't an option. Hopefully I can find a place to set up the 55 gallon soon.

Oh, I didn't see this post at first. The glofish would love you for this. Probably the tetras too.

Also, when you have the bigger tank, add a few more glofish. They are schooling and will appreciate a proper school.

Here is a pic of the tank so far

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 126
Haha, yea we weren't sure how it would look in the tank when we bought it but now we really like it!

Back
Top Bottom