Hello my name is Lisa ...I'm new here and I have a question a few actually

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmj049

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have a fishpond we keep the fish in the garage in a 400 gallon tank ...the weather was so beautiful here that we decided to put them back outside in the homemade fishpond . We've been moving them back-and-forth from winter to spring for about nine years now and every year we always lose a fish it seems ,so this year we open the fishpond put them all in it thinking we were going to have nice weather ...we're in New England and now were back to snow and freezing nights so one of the fish tipped on its side and we think it's because it was too cold we brought all the fish back inside and we took the tank from the attic and we have it on my dining room floor in a 55 gallon tank and I put him in a sling , the tank is foggy and I can't seem to clear it ...we bought a new filter and it's been running almost 24 hours and it's still not clear I'm wondering what's wrong.
The filter we bought can do up to 70 gal. Am I not waiting long enough? Nice to meet you all :)

Hi, welcome to the forum [emoji4]

I'm also wintering pond fish, and in a similar climate. My fish belong in my dad's pond, and he never returns them until the weather is consistently in the double-digits.....this way, they will not experience too much of a temperature shock if bad weather blows in

The foggy tank is normal for a newly set up tank and should clear up in a couple of days-it's probably just bacterial bloom. The most important thing you can do to preserve your fish at the point is add Prime daily, and do water changes any time ammonia gets higher than .25

If you don't have a test kit, do 25% biweekly to weekly until the tank is healthy

Watch out for rapid gill movement or sluggish behaviour...this will tip you off to a spike in something that requires a water change-ammonia, nitrite, nitrates being too high

Hi, welcome to the forum [emoji4]

I'm also wintering pond fish, and in a similar climate. My fish belong in my dad's pond, and he never returns them until the weather is consistently in the double-digits.....this way, they will not experience too much of a temperature shock if bad weather blows in

The foggy tank is normal for a newly set up tank and should clear up in a couple of days-it's probably just bacterial bloom. The most important thing you can do to preserve your fish at the point is add Prime daily, and do water changes any time ammonia gets higher than .25

If you don't have a test kit, do 25% biweekly to weekly until the tank is healthy

Watch out for rapid gill movement or sluggish behaviour...this will tip you off to a spike in something that requires a water change-ammonia, nitrite, nitrates being too high

Ty for all that advice. He is still hanging in there the poor guy

Welcome to the forum.
We over-winter our fish in the pond in our garden. If your pond is deep enough, you can do the same, depending on what type of fish you have. We have koi, large gold fish, and native catfish. Our pond is about 3.5' deep in the larger end, and never freezes solid. We put a floating stock tank water heater in the large end of the pond to keep an area free of ice to allow gasses to escape, stop feeding when water temp reaches below 45 F, and seldom loose a fish over winter. If your outside pond is at least 30" deep, I think you would probably be safe doing the same.

We had two Blackmores for about 5 years and they got huge we don't know what happen but we seem to loose a fish or two every year :(. I never heard of native catfish. We have a frog lol. We put him in the garage tank and he made it through the winter so far :)

Back
Top Bottom