Hello. Need advice for Sw tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlwyzL8

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good Morning Members,

I have my first saltwater aquarium I've had it up and running about a month. I started with 1 damsel blue yellow tail it survived. I added another the next day. Went to Pet place the salesperson suggested I get three more. These were white and black stripped. One day maybe three days later I felt like the first blue one that I put in the tank killed it (my opinion) a few days later another black and white died. I cried over both fish dying. The last white and black is swimming well with the others. I check the water every Monday same time. I've added snails because I have algae now. But I'm noticing what looks like scum on top of the water it's weird. I'm heading back to the pet place my tank is 125 gallons. Any advice!!!!

Alwyz8

Hi, welcome to the forum :)
Sorry can't be any help I'm freshwater :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon shrimp and snail tank

Moving this to the SW getting started forum. Welcome aboard.

Damsels just are not a good fish to have. They get plain mean and attack the main fish in the tank. A lot of people use them to cycle the tank and that is not a good idea either. Not humane also. Try getting some water circulation to the surface. I have a 125 also.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome :)

First bit of advice you won't like get that damsel out of there !!

They are very agressive and will only get worse steer clear of damsels and humbugs all pet shops push them onto people but they are honestly a nightmare definitely don't buy more and get that one out !!

If you want a more peaceful shoaling fish look at chromis or Anthias

Do you have anything pointing at the surface like a powerhead or anything to give good surface agitation.

Humbug
FishBreed_2_346_1.jpg

Good Morning Marty,

Thanks for your advice I have the flu all fx5 and it moves the water but not like what your stating. I will research and find me a powerhead today!!!
What about the lionfish my fear is that it will grow to big and that scares me but the fish is beautiful!! Yes I know about the sting as well. I've never been stung by a bee (knock on wood) ��

Your tank is simply not mature enough yet. I always cycle without anything for a least a month cause SW goes through random swings. Remove all damsels, contrary to there name they are demons. The lion fish is super messy and a predator and depending on the type is what will factor it staying. A Volitan Lionfish get aleast a ft long while a dwarf fuzzy stays smaller. Lionfish are predators and will eat anything that fits or they think will fit In Those mouthes . Canister all also a general no in SW as they are nitrate traps. Hob tend to be easier to maintain but a sumo is even better. I prefer aqua clear hob to any else and with a Lionfish, you'll need the filtration.

Sales people are the worst also for the most part, they'll sale anything or try to. The key to the salty side of this hobby is research, research, research! That a bit more maintaince and your set.

The filtration you have it is going to be pushed above its limits with that lionfish as it gets bigger it will then pick of your stock one by one if they can fit in its mouth !!!!

I have a fuzzy dwarf lionfish in a reef tank and I also have cleaner shrimp there is a massive risk that when it grows up it will eat them, but at present it let's them on to clean so I'm hoping that it will not eat them but that risk is there and I'm prepared for it.

My system is a 6x2x2 DT and a 4ft x18"x17" sump running a massive filtration system and my system is no where near fully stocked this is for a reason as it's a reef tank it helps with water quality.

In my opinion remove the damsels , humbugs if that's what you have and the lionfish and change your LFS as they seem to just be selling you any old thing.

When things go wrong in the marine world it costs £££££ and if you starting in the wrong direction then it will be harder.

What are you wanting from the system in the end a reef or FOWLR if a reef give us all an idea of what sort of corals you are wanting and we can advise on stock that will fit your end goal :)

Back
Top Bottom