Hello! Newbie could use some advices!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natchos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!
I am a new fish owner, as of January 6th this year. So far, made a few mistakes, mainly because I didn't know what I was doing but also because I asked a lot of questions at my local store and got misinformed. The bad thing on my part is that I did not double check the info I was given. Probably because I didn't know any better.
My journey with fishes began in November with a gift for my daughter, two little African drawf frogs that came in a very small little cube. Believe it or not, they came from the toy store, of all places! We had them on the fire mantle because my naughty cat kept on trying to go after them. After a month in their little cube, I felt terrible for them, so I began a search for some sort of vase to put them in. Turns out I went to the pet store and fell in love with the 6 gal fluval edge. Went back home and didn't buy it. I thought about it for a while and then went back and got it. I asked all the info I could and was told I could put 4 mollies and a snail with my two little frogs. They sold them to me right away, no questions asked. Except I did ask a lot of questions. I asked if I should be testing my water, and so on... They told me no, I wouldn't have to test anything. So, off I went to setup my new tank and everything looked fine for 4 weeks. Then, thats when I found out about spike, and how the water was cycling... 3 mollies died. I was horrified and felt so bad I had killed 3 fishes because I relied on the info I was given (Now I know better).

So I came back home and did 20% water changes every day until I had everything back in control. The frogs survived, the one remaining Molly was ok too but the snail died later on...meanwhile I learned to test my water regularly.

When my water was ok, I bought 1 more Molly, and 2 zebra barb. I also have 2 snails. Everything seems ok, except I keep on having to test my water (I am paranoid now!) and when I test (at least twice a week) my ammonia is down to zero, my ph is at 7.5 my nitrites are at the lowest they could be at (0.1) but my nitrates keep on going up all the way to 40. Then I change the water (about 10%) and the nitrates go down to about 5.
I have live plants in there, so I thought it would help but I am not sure. The temp is kept at 79.

What can I do to avoid seeing the nitrates going up like this twice a week? Is this normal? I am not sure.

Any help or advices would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance and boy am I ever happy to have found you!
Natacha

Welcome to AA!

Probably the reason why your nitrates are up is because your tank is overstocked. The fish poop is collecting ammonia and being transfered to nitrate.

I would recommend either getting rid of the mollies and the barbs or getting a tank suitable for them (a 6 gallon is not really enough room, a 20 gallon for them at the least). The frogs can stay, but just wondering, what do you feed them?

Also, keep doing a Partial water change everyday to keep the nitrates down enough not to stress the fish.

What test kit are you using? Make sure to not use strips, they are highly inaccurate and give you false results every time. A liquid test kit is more accurate though (the API master test kit is the best in my opinion.)

Enjoy the forum :)

Hi! Thank you for you for the info!
I have liquid nutrafin test kit. I also feed the fishes once a day a very small portion of nutrafin max (flakes) enough for it to be almost all consumed within 2 minutes. It's hard to tell but there are always one or two flakes that fall at the bottom. For the snails, I try to give them half a veggie round (omega one) every 3 or 4 days. Then for the frogs, I hand feed them with a little suction thing, half of a frozen square of frozen mosquito larvae every 3 days or so. Is that enough, too much, or?
I am surprised I have too many things in there. Again, relied on the info I was given at the pet store... Ah...

Oh, and when I do Pwc I also suction the rocks with my hose. If that makes sense.
Thanks again!

Thats sounds about right as far as feeding goes. You can never really trust the fish advice from local chainstores, it will only result in something bad ;)

I'm not versed in keeping frogs, but I'm curious as to how much waste they create. My mind tells me that they may impact your bio-load more drastically than a fish. Also, are your frogs semi-aquatic? Most freshwater frogs that I'm aware of are semi-aquatic; meaning they need to be able to breathe air at some point in time. Is that the case with your tank? If so and you don't have the tank filled with water then you capacity for fish will be reduced.

I'm not versed in keeping frogs, but I'm curious as to how much waste they create. My mind tells me that they may impact your bio-load more drastically than a fish. Also, are your frogs semi-aquatic? Most freshwater frogs that I'm aware of are semi-aquatic; meaning they need to be able to breathe air at some point in time. Is that the case with your tank? If so and you don't have the tank filled with water then you capacity for fish will be reduced.

They are semi-aquatic, but only need a quick breath (by swimming to the surface really fast) of air every now and then, the tank can be filled to the top.:yin:

The only thing I see wrong with the Edge is that it has a very small opening to reach the surface making me wonder if they have a hard time getting some air....

Keep doing water changes as needed

Your plants will help you to reduce nitrates, but I agree that 6G tank is the main problem, it is simple too small for your bioload.

Also would be good to shear if somebody knows how much bioload a frog generates versus a fish??

Back
Top Bottom