Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BermudaBlue

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new here and hope to fit in well with everyone. I am facinated by fish; I don't know why I just love watching them. I'm working on setting up a planted 20 gallon aquarium; I love the natural look. My last one didn't work out so great. Hopefully i'll have better luck this time. I will love any tips that can better my success and I can't wait to expand my my horizons and set up more complex aquariums. Aquariums are a lobor of love! Any help is greatly appreciated.

I just set it up a few days ago so right now i'm just trying to get everything balanced. I'm thinking zebra danios since this is my first aquarium (actually second but I messed up the other so I started over),
oto cats since they do well in planted aquariums (after I cycle it) and I want to add my betta; I think she'll do well.

ok good that you know about cycling. Are you using fish food or ammonia to cycle your tank? Do you have an API Master Test kit. Just so you know female bettas are best kept in groups.

Ok good. You could use the ammonia approach, but what I did is take a pinch of fish flakes and add it every day. After two weeks start testing every other day. Once Ammonia and nitrite becomes 0, do a pwc to suck up all the excess food.

So, what about water changes while cycling? Is it alright to have live plants in the aquarium while cycling? The whole cycling thing kind of confuses me; theres so many techniques.

Plants can speed up the cycle. Water changes are unnecessary during fishless cycling since there's no fish and it slows down the cycle.

It took me 3 weeks but at first I didn't have a heater. If you have your temp set at around 81 (just for cycling) it might take shorter. once you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites with a few nitrates, you can start adding a few fish at a time.

Alright, than you very much for the help. I think I have a better understanding of cycling. I feel more confident about getting the cycling started.

Back
Top Bottom