Hello!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teknofilechik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! My name is Liz, and I've been lurking these forums for about six months now. I got into keeping fish because of a friend in college. I had no idea what I was doing when I started, and got two male cichlids, haha. One passed away of Malawi bloat, which I know about now, but one is still kicking, pushing five years old. I have another Mbuna in a separate tank (thought it was a female, changed color less than a month after I bought him). I'm running a 29, 10 and 3 gallon tank (veiltail Betta) and have an empty 20 long in the basement. Still in college, and I live with my mom. I love keeping fish and I have found a lifelong hobby. So, hello!

Teknofilechik said:
Hi! My name is Liz, and I've been lurking these forums for about six months now. I got into keeping fish because of a friend in college. I had no idea what I was doing when I started, and got two male cichlids, haha. One passed away of Malawi bloat, which I know about now, but one is still kicking, pushing five years old. I have another Mbuna in a separate tank (thought it was a female, changed color less than a month after I bought him). I'm running a 29, 10 and 3 gallon tank (veiltail Betta) and have an empty 20 long in the basement. Still in college, and I live with my mom. I love keeping fish and I have found a lifelong hobby. So, hello!

Hi, and welcome to AA.

I'm sorry I have bad news, but that Betta should really be in a minimum of five gallons. I have mine in a ten gallon with a divider, so they both get five gallons of room each.

But anyway, welcome to AA and enjoy the forum. We are glad to have you! :D

The debate on the size tank for bettas is still raging. He has plenty of room in his three gallon, and is extraordinarily happy. He plays with my finger through the glass (and tries to nip at it when I test my water). The one mistake I made with him was not getting a filter. He came down with a minor case of fin rot not long after I got him. Glad to say they grew back, and he has a filter in the tank now :). Newbie mistakes.

Post a thread asking the minimum tank size and tell me what you get the most of.

I'm not being snippy or condescending, I actually would be interested in seeing what results you get.

Why don't you put him in the ten gallon? Bettas, as long as they're the only fish that is, or looks like a Betta, make great community fish! Which leads me to the next question... Stocking... And pictures!

Homedog98 said:
Why don't you put him in the ten gallon? Bettas, as long as they're the only fish that is, or looks like a Betta, make great community fish! Which leads me to the next question... Stocking... And pictures!

+1

But I will clarify, no other fish can look like bettas. Such as no guppies.

I know you said that homedog, but it looked like you had a typo and skipped a word.

And also, males and females are to be kept together for breeding only. Just saying to make sure you know.

The cichlid is in the ten gallon until he gets a bit bigger and needs the 20 gallon. I suppose I could swap them sooner. I could take a picture and post it if you'd like. He seems perfectly comfortable, if you think it's too small I could move them. I'm actually off to Petco right now because my nitrate levels are testing suspiciously low pre-water-change, so I'm suspicious my kit is expiring.

Right now I'm not stocking any new fish. My fish are old, and in a year the ones surviving are being moved across the country (unless my mother can take care of them). The big cichlid is almost 5, and the little one is two (?) I think. The Betta was an impulse buy because I can't STAND seeing them in those tiny bowls they have them in at the pet store. My tank information is in my profile. The cichlid and the danio I put together before I knew anything about fish, but they leave each other alone.

Teknofilechik said:
The cichlid is in the ten gallon until he gets a bit bigger and needs the 20 gallon. I suppose I could swap them sooner. I could take a picture and post it if you'd like. He seems perfectly comfortable, if you think it's too small I could move them. I'm actually off to Petco right now because my nitrate levels are testing suspiciously low pre-water-change, so I'm suspicious my kit is expiring.

Bettas may seem fine, but here's my story with bettas.

A few years ago, I got a Betta for my birthday in a bowl. Then after he died a few years later, I got another and continued in that cycle for about five fish. Then I remembered an empty ten gallon we had and cleaned it up and got another Betta. Allie is so much happier and healthier than the others. Then I got into aquariums and have three going right now. Then I saw Patriot, and got a divider for him so he could go in with my first Betta.

So, bigger is definitely better.

And, in five gallons and over bettas live for five years and over, whereas in smaller tanks they sometimes only live for about two years.

A shadowed or opaque divider is best, where the males wouldn't see each other clearly. I actually am trying to figure something else out. Patriot now is in a bowl because of a stupid TopFin divider. Don't use those. Your heart almost stops when you walk into your room and see two male bettas on one side. But after seeing Patriot in a big tank and a little bowl, I feel very upset that it didn't work out. The bowl is VERY temporary.

I had heard that opaque barriers were better, because it doesn't stress them out, just wanted to get confirmation :). Now I need to figure out where I can set up the 20 gallon tank! Haha, go me. >.<

Teknofilechik said:
I had heard that opaque barriers were better, because it doesn't stress them out, just wanted to get confirmation :). Now I need to figure out where I can set up the 20 gallon tank! Haha, go me. >.<

Lol. I'm seeing if my dad can help me build one... Ugh. That moment is stuck in my head right now. Seriously, don't trust TopFin dividers!!

Turns out my suspicions were correct, and my test kit expired. Parameters are a little outside normal, nothing to worry about. Another 30 bucks to dump into my tanks :p

Back
Top Bottom