Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FRSChick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and somewhat new to the aquarium hobby.

I got a 65 gallon aquarium for Christmas and I have a few questions. Can someone help direct me to where I should post the following questions?

1. Stocking of my 65 gallon aquarium - will my fish outgrow my tank? Am I overstocked?

2. Is my filtration adequate for the amount of fish that I have?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Welcome to the forum. List your tank parameters and equipment. What stock are you wanting?

I have a 65 gallon tank with a canister filter called ProAquatics Canister Filter 1600. It filters 160 GPH and is good for up to 75 Gallons. I have the following filter media in it:
Thick coarse foam pad
fluval zeo carb bag
fluval clearmax bag
ceramic cylinder media with a few bio gel balls added to start the biological bacteria
water polishing pads.

I have the following fish (all juveniles):

4 Angelfish (2 nickel sized, 2 quarter sized)
2 golden dojo loaches (I would say these are medium large, one is albino)
6 Khuli (spelling? I switch the u and h ordering a lot... sorry) loaches
1 fancy goldfish (small)
1 medium sized red tail black shark
1 very large nerite snail (quarter sized)
1 small hi fin pleco

I added the fish somewhat slowly and watched the ammonia level, to my knowledge it has been Ok, not great, but OK.

Ammonia Alert leave in tester says 0.05 ppm (I know, not ideal, trying to lower it)

Water temp 77.

Nitrite and nitrate levels are very very low, that's why I'm just watching ammonia for now until bacteria colony grows.

My questions:
Did I overstock this tank?

Do I need another hang on back filter?

Thanks!

Imo not enough filter. You have cw and tropical fish mixed. You also have high waste fish. Pleco,shark and goldfish. I cant remember a 65g dimensions but sharks goldfish and pleco are fish I would not keep in a 65. Numbers are showing either your not cycled or waste/feedings are bad. Im a huge seachem fan but those stick on alert deals...I wouldn't trust.

What hang on back filter size would you add? 70 gallon size? Essentially doubling the filtration?

First I dont pay attention to what manufacturer states tank it will filter. I look at gph and media capacity. You could add a hob or get a larger canister.

GPH on the canister is 160.
What GPH hang on back filter do you recommend?

Im an over filter guy. I believe the only way you have too much is if flora and fauna cant handle it. Usually canisters around 5x and hob 8-10x. With the 160 you have maybe try get something around at least 300gph. I like alot are fans of aqua clears. A ac70 would help.

Thanks for your help. I bought a 350 GPH marine land HOB filter as well as additional media (ceramic porous noodles) for the bacteria colony for my canister filter. It should get here in 2 days.
I can't seem to get the tank to cycle. I think the lack of filtration power might be impacting that from the extensive research I've done. That and time or ammonia level.
API liquid test (new purchase) says ammonia is 8 ppm (waaay high) but...
Seachem Ammonia Alert says 0.05ppm. I know this is total ammonia/ammonium for API and toxic for Seachem.
This also explains why all the fish appear fine, no gasping, no hanging out near the top, etc. if the harmful ammonia was really 8 ppm the fish would be dead or dying.

Thanks again for your help. I think regardless if the filtration is not the issue for cycling now, having more filtration will help in the future.

Make sure to test your tap. Also google false ammonia readings. Chloramine can mess with the results. Idk...I love seachem and had one of those alerts years ago. Id like to believe they are better. But its hard to believe there accurate all the time.

Thanks I thought of that too. Tap says 1 ppm. If I put the Alert in tap water, it goes back to safe. I think this is why the fish are OK. I will look into false Ammonia readings, thank you.

Update: the added filtration worked!
Finally saw a nitrite spike! Did about a 50% water change and I will continue to do testing!
Thanks so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom