I'm new - white residue on lid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mistylayne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I'm new to the site. I have had my fish hobby for about 5 years and am still learning! I do need to know how to post a question for advice, hopefully someone can help me with this!! I also have a white residue on my tank lids, does anyone know what that could be

Last edited:
Its probably limescale. Water droplets get onto the hood and the water evaporates away leaving calcium carbonate behind. The same could be happening with your kettle, water boiler and any hot water pipework.

Do you know if you live in an area where you have hard or soft tap water?

Agree with Aiken. (y) Most residues on tanks and hoods comes from the water. The minerals in it do not evaporate as the water does so it leave behind the deposit. This is very common in saltwater tanks which is called " salt creep". The water evaporates but the salt doesn't. If it's calcium or lime, remove the hood and wipe the area down with lemon juice or another acidic juice to "melt" the deposit away. (y) ( There are products like CLR that will remove the stains but they can be toxic to the fish if any of it's residue gets into the water so I wouldn't use them on fish related items. )

I see that too. Try vinegar if abrasion with water fails

Back
Top Bottom