Help: accident with pellet food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snmurray

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. Accidentally poured too much food into tank tonight. Tried to scoop as much out as possible but loads still in tank. Did immediate 30% water change. Tank is 10 gallon with five pencils, 6 neon tetra & 3 guppies plus many rcs. Water parameters have always been excellent. Any ideas please

Thanks for answering. Did that when did water change but still quite a bit left and would've ended up emptying tank. Will check parameters tom morning but is it likely I will lose any fish?

Or two days depends on how much you spilt. And dont worry they can survive a while once they have eaten alot.

Thanks for answering. Did that when did water change but still quite a bit left and would've ended up emptying tank. Will check parameters tom morning but is it likely I will lose any fish?
Probably not

Last edited by a moderator:
Also get a cory cat he will eat the food that has fallen on the substrate and any rotting food that no other fish want

They will eat food on the ground but not rotting food. They also need to be kept in a school of 4+ which would he unadvisable in a tank that's fully stocked line yours.

You can do a WC wait a couple and do another. Then as suggested hold off feeding for a couple days. I do not suggest adding any cories to a 10g unless they are dwarf or pygmy cories.

Thats perfect! All corys are the same but with different patterns

Actually I don't know what you mean by they are all the same but they are different than just patterns. Yes eating habits are basically the same as all are omnivores and eat from the substrate but their size and temp requirements for example are different. There are also related species, Aspidora's (which I keep) and Brochis that are in the cory family.

In small tanks such as a 10g only the very small Pygmy and Dwarf Cories are suitable but are often hard to find.

Shall speak to my local shop tom about pygmy corries. Agree that normal sized ones (two ") are too big for my tank. What size do the pygmies grow to?

Do you have dwarf or one of the nano sized pencilfish? With the 3 guppies your pretty stocked. Pygmy and Dwarfs do need to be in a group of at least 5 and unless you want to part with your Guppies I wouldn't add that many to the tank. It boils down to which fish is more important PLUS you already said you have a ton of RCS and they do the exact same job as cories would and actually cories would compete for the same food. If your tank is doing well I'm not sure I'd want to upset the apple cart.

You had an accident, which happens, but nothing some WC's won't fix.

Good advice rivercat. Sensibly addibg any other fish would just be cruel. Would love a bigger tank but not feasible at present. So long as there are no long term complications from spilt food

Watch you ammonia and nitrate levels for a few days and do WC's as needed. If you have a lot of shrimp they should help clean up a lot of the food.

Back
Top Bottom