Help advice needed please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ceri

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Looking for advice here as I am very new to all this :)
I have my own new 65 litre tank which has just completed cycle (I think lol) and I have just been offered another aquarium by an aquantance of a friend of a friend, basically I feel that I HAVE to take it as otherwise they will just let the fishes die:eek: as they have "had enough"
I want to take it on but I am just wondering what is the best, least stressful way of moving this little lot about 10 miles.

Do I need to save as much of the "filthy " water as I can? what is the least % I can get away with?
The fish look healthy despite the fact that the water is dirty, I have no idea of capacity but tank is 3 foot long 15" wide and 18" deep. It is running an under gravel filter ( I know nothing about these)

and is stocked with
2 x angel fish
1x keyhole cichlid
4 x neon tetras
2x curviceps
4 x balloon mollies
Is this tank big enough for the angels?
Oh gosh so many questions
Help please
Ceri x

You don't need to save any water at all. It's the equivilent of bringing new fish home from the lfs. Put the fish into bags (or a clean never used bucket) about half full of water. Drain most of the water from the tank. Scoop out the substrate and put it into another clean bucket. FInish draining the tank. Keep the filter cartridges wet with tank water during the move. When you set it back up, scoop in the substrate, fill with water, dechlorinate, acclimate fish. Make sure the substrate and filter media stay wet with tank water at all times.

I concur.
I did the same as fishyfanatic suggested when I bought a used tank last summer, I didn't even save the substrate, just the filter.
In my case it was a 2 hour drive plus setup time once home and I didn't lose a single fish.
On top of that I only had a very minor mini cycle, never saw amonia and saw under 1ppm nitrite for a couple of days.

Oh thank you both for your advice, I was having visions of carting gallons of yucky water in the lorry lol.
I will let you know if I end up having them, it seems that someone with more experience than me is also interested, which would probably be better for the fishes at this time. But if they decide not to take them then I will.
I think my new tank has completed its cycle now (in my ignorance I started it with fish and have had to do huge daily changes to keep them happy)
I now have 0 amonia 0 nitrite and 10-20 nitrate.
how often should i pwc now please?
Thanks

It will depend on your fish. Test your tank for Nitrates. In a week test again. If they have gone from 10 to 15 that means your tank will increase by roughly 5 ppm per week so you could get by with 25% every week. If it's not even 15 yet, then wait another week and test. You'll have to find a schedule that works for your specific tank and fish.

I change at least 25% every week on all of my tanks regardless of reading, larger or more often if needed but not less than that.

I perform 50% weekly even though its not needed. The above post will give you the minimum amount needed.

Back
Top Bottom