Help/Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ameyaraje99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,
I'm kinda new to the saltwater scenario. About over a month ago, i got a 29 gallon tank. I filled it up with aragonite sand, about 20lbs of live rock . Equipment used - fluval 205 canister filter, maxijet 1200 powerhead, rio nano skimmer and 2 x 24 watt t5 lighting fixtures (acticnic as well as the regular one). After cycling the tank for 2 weeks, i added 2 clowns, 1 tang , 1 shrimp and 1 hermit crab. 2 weeks the tank was fine with all the fish happy and no signs of disease or discomfort. When i did a 15% water change, all my fish died. My lfs told me that this happened due to the canister filter. I did a 80% water change now and havent added any fish yet. After about 3 days, i'm looking at some red slime (certainly cyano bacteria) I've ordered a hob refugium (cpr aquafuge 2) as per my lfs's recommendation. But i'm still not sure if i'm doing something wrong or i've missed something. Please advise. Thanks

Did you use RO or RO/DI water when you changed the water? Did you match the SG, Ph, and temp levels to your tanks before adding the new water?

No I used tap water. But I did add dechlorinator to the water and the water was prepared a day in advance with the heater in . The temperature was almost the same as the water in the tank. I did not check ph levels of the new water.

@trackfast-- the Lfs said that canister filters are bad for saltwater and without a wet/dry , sump or refugium this will happen again.
I really don't know if that's true

Pls explain how you cycled. That might help us diagnose the fish deaths. I'm very suspicious of the 2 weeks, in that it might not have cycled.

Didja take ammonia or nitrite reading for the water reading during the cycle> What are they now also?

During cycle
Ammonia 0.25 mg, ph 8.4, nitrate 20mg and nitrites 1.0 mg

Now, ammonia 0.25mg, ph 8.2, nitrate 15mg.haven't tested nitrites. Also, now there is red slime on some of the live rocks.

few things here one it looks like your tank is still cycling. Ammonia should be 0 and you should test nitrites they should be 0 two weeks is not long enough for a cycle. I also think you added to many fish and inverts at one time for a new tank. Do not use tap water even with the dechlorinator need to invest in a RO/DI unit. I doubt the canister filter was running long enough to build up nitrates to cause this problem. The cyano could be part of your cycle.

the tap water didn't kill the fish, nor did the cannister filter. i agree with bavass- too many fish without the tank being cycled.

the tank must have a bacteria colony established that will sustain the bio load. even if the tank was cycled, you want to add livestock very slowly, so that the bacteria colony is allowed to catch up and grow to match the bio load.
don't put a tang in a 29 gallon tank please. it's a death sentence for the fish. they belong in 6' tanks. research the fish you like before you purchase it.

ok i guess that makes sense im going to let the tank cycle for another 2-3 weeks. I'll use ro-di water next time onwards. Is the canister filter ok or should i get rid of it?Thanks for your help guys

@trackfast. So I guess I'll keep the canister filter then. Another question that I have is that should I replace any of the filter media? Right now I have substrate and 2 bags of carbon in the 3 compartments of the canister.

I don't think you have to throw out the media, it still might have some beneficial bacteria in it. I don't run carbon regularly; I would use LR rubble or bio balls in the canister and filter media (floss/pads). What kind of substrate do you have in the canister?

The substrate that came with the canister. It's a cylindrical shaped substrates.
I guess I'll add live rock rubble in one of the compartments.

Okay. That's not "substrate"; that is filter media used to harbor good bacteria in your filter. It's probably ceramic cylinders or rings, right? "Substrate" is the word for gravel, sand , crushed coral, etc.

Hey guys. After a bit of research I think the CPR backpak 2 skimmer looks like a good option. I'm thinking of ordering tonight. my question is will it be sufficient for a 90 gallon tank (which I plan to upgrade in a years time). A couple of things.. I'm noticing a bit of reddish slime developing on the glass developing. Should I clean this off or wait for it to disappear ??
Secondly my water level seems to be dropping . I thing this is due to the lights. Is it normal?? I have the lighting on for about 7-9 hours a day. Any suggestions ?? Thanks guys :)

What kind of lighting? Some evaporation is certainly going to happen at a rate that has a lot of variables.
What is the water quality?
What is the temperature and does it swing? Probably not as important as the first two.

In my experience this is caused by a combination of organics available and lighting that isn't strong enough.

Back
Top Bottom