help! algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themox

Aquarium Advice Activist
it's a fine hair algae, mainly on my java fern. i'm scared it will eventually start growing on my other plants but as yet it's mainly on the ferns. they are closest to the light and there is no co2 as yet (long story and stupid DIY not working). this is coming later this week.

the water parameters at last check were all fine (i'm at work now so can't quote them) but they were tested last night and were not horribly up high. PH is stable at 6.8-7 also.

i've been doing 40-50% water changes since i set up the tank, once a week. this has been for approx 3 weeks. i have added two guppies for a fish-in cycle but not until last week. they've been ok and haven't died at all nor shown signs of sickness or stress.

i've been using the seachem stuff (flourish comprehensive) twice weekly, dosing 1mL every week.

tank is 30 liters/ 8 gallon, 3 watts per gallon light t5s and co2 hopefully this week, and has

hemianthus macra - small stems, foreground
hornwort - in driftwood, doing well
java ferns - in driftwood, slowly getting the algae
java moss wall - too early to see anything but looks safe
frog bit - floating, chilling, looks ok

any help would be great!

should I black out the tank for a while?

image-2661280869.jpg

it's tough to see it I know

Java fern is slow growing and so is java so they are usually the first to go along with Anubias, looks like green thread algae it's a type of Cyanobacteria which in effect is neither an algae or animal but a kind of plant if memory serves me right check your light levels try planting the java out of the high light areas of the tank or keep it shaded by taller plants , has always worked for me, try to maintain equal levels and try not to disturb substrate too much, if reading between the lines you've had a nightmare ( like I did ) with DIY co2 then it could be the tank is still re adjusting to the changes, my recommendation cut away all infected leaves and see how it goes try moving it out of high light areas/ shaded and give it some flow

Java fern is slow growing and so is java so they are usually the first to go along with Anubias, looks like green thread algae it's a type of Cyanobacteria which in effect is neither an algae or animal but a kind of plant if memory serves me right check your light levels try planting the java out of the high light areas of the tank or keep it shaded by taller plants , has always worked for me, try to maintain equal levels and try not to disturb substrate too much, if reading between the lines you've had a nightmare ( like I did ) with DIY co2 then it could be the tank is still re adjusting to the changes, my recommendation cut away all infected leaves and see how it goes try moving it out of high light areas/ shaded and give it some flow

thank you Welshy; much appreciated.

you are definitely reading correctly between the lines :) the DIY route has gone terrible for me, but i won't harp on about that haha

i'll try removing that large leaf, it's quite an older one anyway so shouldn't matter if i do; the rest of the ferns aren't too high in the aquarium so i'll keep an eye on them. does algae actually grow in mosses?

i have flowing water from an internal filter...would it be best at the moment to agitate the water more? since i don't have c02 back again until late this week? or is that irrelevent?

it's moved into the pieces of driftwood. will it eventually go away now I have co2, have cut away the main infected leaves and am keeping the others out of direct light?

Agitating the water I think would be no use, it has more to do with the fluctuations in gasses over the last how ever long you were running DIY for this has more than likely caused the algae, yes algae can and will grow in moss ( I know as it is currently growing on mine due to neglect - just had a baby ) my advice for the wood... Get it out before a water change give it a scrub....dry rub don't use tap water...or if you have the space condition some water clean it off then pop it back in the tank, then I would do a water change as there will more than likely be loose bits that get back in the tank after the clean down, keep the new co2 flow consistent using a drop checker and if you can't keep it consistent....get rid as it will only cause you more issues

Back
Top Bottom