Help! Angels possibly sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishgazer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have a 75 gallon stocked with the following:

2 angels, 3" & 2"
1 leopard Ctenopoma, 3"
1 gold dojo loach, 4"
1 albino cory, 2.5"
7 rainbows, 2-3"

Filtration is two systems--a 75 gallon Aqueon & a 90 gallon Marineland bio wheel.

Current parameters:

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0, might be trace amounts, hard to read

The 2 angels seen below remain in there, but I had a 3" marbled angel as well. One morning I turned on the lights to find he bad cornered the black one, who showed numerous missing scales & very tattered fins. I immediately removed the marbled to another tank. Soon after I noticed my gold pearl also looked tattered, & on closer inspection I noted a small raised area/patch on its skin. After 2-3 days the angels' fins were healed, but their skin appeared worse. Fearing a bacterial infection I moved them to the hospital tank & treated with Maracyn & Maracyn 2. These meds rendered no changes.

I then moved them back into the 75 gallon. The LFS advised me to use Melafix and that they are probably just taking some time to heal. They said the gold pearl's wounds are scabbed over, & the black one's wounds must have been deeper. My concern is that I THINK the largest gray hole on my black angel has grown slightly. Also, the gold pearl has one area on its left side that is a darker color in the center, and the darkness appears to be growing. Plus the gold pearl only had one bump before, but now has three (the one with a dark middle on its right side, 2 skin-colored ones on its left). They are raised bumps, but not at all cottony. Perhaps I did not see the wounds at first because of this fish's color? They are acting & eating perfectly fine.

Please advise if I should simply continue on with the Melafix (today will be the third day). I understand that scales take longer to heal than fins, but the angels' ailments each look so different, and they APPEAR to be worsening (could be my imagination). I want to make sure there is nothing else going on.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-886207924.jpg
    image-886207924.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 43
  • image-345629737.jpg
    image-345629737.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 50
  • image-2756729283.jpg
    image-2756729283.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 45
It sorta looks like its trying to heal buy if you are worried I would highly trend using maroxy by mardel. I inherited a baby Oscar not long ago that had been beaten within s few inches of his life n his skin was in HORRIBLE shape he was barely even moving he was si bad off that was all I had so I decided to try it n within 24 hours his skin was completely healed.

I was near PetSmart today & looked there for the two suggestions, but they had NEITHER. Ridiculous.

I only had Tetra Parasite Guard on hand, so I began treatment with that almost 48 hours ago. This morning the angels showed no improvement, and again, I believe their spots have grown. The gold pearl's spot is especially worrisome because it's now nearly 1/4" in diameter & the dark center has grown as well. Could it be hexamita? But the Parasite Guard is supposed to treat that...

I am going to continue with the Parasite Guard & do as the box instructs: After 48 hours (tonight) do a 25% water change & add another full dose.

If there is no improvement after the second 48 hours I will go to the LFS to get whatever is recommended. I read that you can do a bath/dip with the Seachem Paraguard, which might be a good idea. I've also read that Clout is good...If my angels even have parasites?!

Back
Top Bottom