Help!!!! Bad water!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have a 10 gallon tropical community tank with a topfin 10 filter
5 neon tetras
2 bloodfin tetras
An apple snail
And 3 cherry shrimp
The water is at 78 degrees all day

The water is cloudy and stagnant... I added a water clarifier yesterday and It didn't help. I'm worried it could be the bioload.... Too much? Please help!!

How long has the tank been set up?
When did you last do a water change?
Do you have a test kit? If so what are the results?
are you on well or city water?

It's been set up for 2 months
I do weekly 15% water changes
And I'm on city water( I use API water conditioner)
And I don't have a test kit

First of all, do not add water clarifier or any unnecessary chemicals to your tank, besides water conditioner. Second of all, if you are going to have a tank, you really need to invest in a test kit.

If your tank has only been up for two months there is a good chance that it is not completely cycled. How fast did you add the fish that you have? I don't think you are overstocked for the tank in and of itself, but your tank may not have enough of a bacteria colony to handle the current bioload. Cloudiness is usually a sign of bacterial bloom, so it might actually be a good thing.

I would suggest that you get a test kit and post your parameters so that we can help you trouble shoot. If you can't get a test kit right away, take a sample to a local pet store and they will most likely test it for you. Although some of them use the dipsticks which can be unreliable. Most on here would recommend the API freshwater masterkit.

Also, when you buy more water conditioner, consider investing in prime. It is super concentrated so it lasts longer, and it neutralizes nitrites and nitrates as an added plus.

I usually take my water to my lfs and have it tested weekly.... I cycled for only a week with some bacteria from my lfs then added the two bloodfins, then 5 days later the snail and shrimp then another 5 days the neons. My water was crystal clear then I changed the filter cartridge and it got cloudy... I just did a 10% pwc here's a pic... It's a little better... When you look up towards the lights it is really milky

Attachments

• image-2513873627.jpg
    image-2513873627.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3124963319.jpg
    image-3124963319.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 96
why would you change the filter cartridge? The filter cartridge is where the majority of your bacteria live. I never ever change out filter media, I just rinse it in old tank water. Also, it takes anywhere from 6-8 weeks to fully cycle a tank, most would agree that bottled bacteria only causes more problems later down the road. Either it doesn't work or it doesn't last very long. We can't know for sure without getting a test of your water parameters.

You really must get a test kit. Weekly tests are not enough, and the cycle doesn't just work in a week. It can take much longer, and you have no idea if you are actually cycled until your test kit says so.

My best advice is get a test kit, read the articles Ashley posted and I'm guessing you're going to be in for multiple water changes a day until your cycle completes if you want your fish to live.

And definitely read up on how the tank cycles. I think you were given bad advice from your lfs and ran with it. Many people do and sadly, their advice only trips us up and ruins our tanks.

Do NOT change out your filter media. You really only have to change it out a couple of times per year, not near as often as the manufacturers represent on their packaging.

If your tank was cycled it's probably going through a mini cycle. You still have a bunch of bacteria on your gravel, plants, and other decor. It's not like it needs to start all over again which is good. Since it would have to go into a mini cycle you would most likely going to see some form of bacteria bloom which could be the misty water. There is no way your water could be stagnant if it was running for 2 months... My bet would be the cycle leave it for a days and see if it goes down.

I agree a test kit is of utmost importance; most LFS use the strips which can be inaccurate at best. If your tank is going through a mini-cycle from changing the media, a test kit is most important b/c you'll need to test for ammonia and nitrate and nitrite daily and do pwc to keep those levels down until the bacteria re-colonizes itself on your new filter media (don't ever change it out unless it's literally falling apart :))

Yes and by removing a bunch of good bacteria your tank has to go through a mini cycle. Sometimes a cycle will come with a bacteria bloom which in your case cloudy water.

Ok... I got my test kit and I'll post parameters in an hour or so... I also bought some activated carbon and a media sleeve, I know my cartridge has carbon in it but I was wondering if I should run more carbon to help with the yellowness.

It's weird because it was like crystal clear for the first month?:0
There probably just wasn't enough waist to cause a bacterial bloom for the first month or so. If you do a classic in fish cycle You can expect periodic cloudiness as the bacterial colonies bloom to handle the waist.

Ok so I just tested
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Hardness : 200 ppm
Chlorine: o
Alkalinity: 100 ppm
Ph: 7.8

Right now I'm letting the carbon sack soak in the water so it will colonize with bacteria before I take out my current media and put this in. (I'm going to use the media bag with carbon as my filtration) how long should I let it sit in tank?

Right now I'm letting the carbon sack soak in the water so it will colonize with bacteria before I take out my current media and put this in. (I'm going to use the media bag with carbon as my filtration) how long should I let it sit in tank?
Do not replace your current media, that is the worst possible thing you could do at this point. Letting a bag of carbon soak in the water will not colonize it appropriately with bacteria. It takes WEEKS to MONTHS to build up a good colony of bacteria.

I don't use activated carbon at all. If you want to add it into your filter thats fine, but you don't need it.

What sort of test kit did you use? What is your ammonia level?

I used tetra easy strips... I know that there strips and not as reliable but I'm setting up a reef tank and I can't afford an API. I wanted to run carbon because my water has a yellow tint to it and there are gazzilions of little particles in the water.

Back
Top Bottom