Help! Broken Power Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rpvance

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am on day 4 of a fish-in cycle, ammonia levels just reaching .25

After completing a 25% water change I plugged back in the Aqueon 30 power filter and it isnt working.

At this stage in the cycle, can my fish survive without the power filter running for approximately 11 hours until I can get it replaced tomorrow?

Should I submerge the filter media in the tank?

Any help is appreciated

Rpvance said:
I am on day 4 of a fish-in cycle, ammonia levels just reaching .25

After completing a 25% water change I plugged back in the Aqueon 30 power filter and it isnt working.

At this stage in the cycle, can my fish survive without the power filter running for approximately 11 hours until I can get it replaced tomorrow?

Should I submerge the filter media in the tank?

Any help is appreciated

Have you primed it? Checked the impeller for obstructions? Is it making any noise?

If you have an air stone I'd put it in to keep up the surface agitation. They should be ok over night. First thing in the morning (if you have no air stone) fill a bucket with tank water and tip it back in to aerate it a bit. Make sure the media stays wet and it will be ok.

Thanks Elise. I did turn on my second air stone right after it happened. I feel very stupid to say, but I got it working again...I guess the water wasn't quite high enough for it to start? So always unplug for water change even if intake reaches well below water height?

I did try plugging it in a few times without success during the troubleshooting - probably shortened the life the the filter considerably...

I will only post in the 'getting started' forum from now on. I'm very new at this :)

Rpvance said:
Thanks Elise. I did turn on my second air stone right after it happened. I feel very stupid to say, but I got it working again...I guess the water wasn't quite high enough for it to start? So always unplug for water change even if intake reaches well below water height?

I did try plugging it in a few times without success during the troubleshooting - probably shortened the life the the filter considerably...

I will only post in the 'getting started' forum from now on. I'm very new at this :)

Glad to hear you got it started! You'll know for next time now. :)
I always unplug/turn off everything every time I do a water change or reach into the tank. I'm scared I'm going to zap myself! Lol.

A lot of the time with hang on back filters the impeller will need minor cleaning to ensure a instant start. By no means will you have shorten the life of it unless it was overheating.

Put tank water into the filter. Plug in. If it starts then connect the intake tube that goes into the tank. If it hums or does not start stirring water around take a quality electricians screw driver or a poker that's quality anti shock plastic and give the impeller a turn it should start instantly. You can also get shoes that are shock resistant.

Back
Top Bottom