help brown algae on sand, what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrey

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, really need some help, I have a ten gallon nano set up with internal filter filled with live rock rubble, skimmer,6kgs of live rock lighting is a marine hydrid light with 18watt lamp and a extra pump for added flow.Stock is one perc clown, one coral gobie, 1 blue leg hermit, 2 red leg hermits, 3 turbos and a peppermint shrimp. It contains one zoa, one sponge and one neon green star poly. All perrimators are good, I do a water change every week with brought salt water from the same lfs every time, but I've got brown Alger all over my sand, I've cut down on feed without starving and cut down on how long the lights are on from 10hrs to 8hrs but still can't seem to shift it.
The tanks been up and running for about 5 months.
I'm open to all the help and advice avalible.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130304_091113.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130304_091113.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 72
  • ForumRunner_20130304_091146.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130304_091146.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 73
You can do a pwc and siphon out as much as you can out, or you can let it run through its course. Looks like diatom bloom w/c is common to new set ups.

Thanks does it usually take long and also is there any think I can do to speed up the process. I knows it won't hurt anythink but just looks an eye sore.

That's about it until all the silicates in your tank has been depleted. Try running carbon and phosphate absorbing media maybe but not sure if that will speed up the process at all.

Back
Top Bottom