help building a overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilostnemo

Aquarium Advice Addict
im going to build a overflow from my display tank to my sump and i was wondering how i can build one that will resume working if power goes off than back on so that the return pump wont over flow the display tank. anyone have a design that works like that?

I built one using this design. It worked well, but you need a vacuum line to keep the air out of it.

DIY Overflow Box

Many people suggest building overflows using "U tubes" as they don't need the special vacuum line. I don't have a link for one like that.

I can't tell if the first one would lose it's siphon or not, but most correctly built overflows don't lose siphon (or else they'd be useless). The second one is built to not lose siphon. You should remember though, you should get an overflow box that is suited for your specific tank. Getting one that's rated for a much higher flow rate than you will be using won't work well, as the flow through the tubes won't be quick enough to stop bubbles from collecting in them, therefore stopping the flow.

And by vacuum line, I mean air hose line that's generally connected to the output of a powerhead (which in turn draws air out of the overflow tubes).

Back
Top Bottom