help catching a fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckmn101

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a very smart Regal Tang that I need to catch and remove from my reef tank. After a couple unsuccessful tries at catching him now the minute the net hits the water he hits the rocks. I need suggestions on what to do. I really can’t move the rocks because of the corals.
Suggestions/advice?
TIA

I have had some luck by leaving the net partilly in the water all the time. Then every time I feed the fish I make a half hearted attempt to net the fish. After several days the fish gets used to the net, it's almost like a game after a while. Just to remember to leave them a little hungry. This is how I netted a Koran Angelfish in a 55 reef twice in the same week. I had help the first time, when I want for a bucket the wife let him go, accidently.

Leave the lights off at night and after about 3-4 hours, go in and turn on all the tank lights/room lights and the fish will be pretty stunned. Then go after it with a net and it should be pretty easy!

I got a clown out of a very rock-filled 40 gal this way

The light shock method is probably your only bet but still there are times when an entire tank would need to be broken down to get fish out.

This is a tough situation especially in reef tanks. I like the idea of acclimation the fish to the net(s) then coaxing it out with food. This worked when I had to remove a school of chromis to make room for more interesting fish. Good luck!

GuOD said:
Leave the lights off at night and after about 3-4 hours, go in and turn on all the tank lights/room lights and the fish will be pretty stunned. Then go after it with a net and it should be pretty easy!

While this works well with fresh water fish most reef fish hide in the rocks after dark. :roll:

Not always true. Sometimes it can be effective in S/W and 3-4 hours is not needed.

ezy33 said:
GuOD said:

While this works well with fresh water fish most reef fish hide in the rocks after dark. :roll:

It's not about an instant grab. The fish is disoriented and you scare/push it out of its hiding place and then it's much much easier to catch. I caught a clown with a net that's only about 3"x3"

Back
Top Bottom