Help catching panda corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dclark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So as the title suggests I'm having difficulty catching my pandas (4x).

Its a fluval edge 33l tank, I'm transferring them to a 100+, I've removed all rocks, plants, and have taken out 50% of the water. They're just so quick and feel like they are getting stressed with my constant chasing with the net.

Anyone got some advice?

Put an algae wafer in one corner of the tank and wait until they swim over there. Then put in a divider as close as you can to the wafer and cories but make sure you can still move the net. That should make a rectangle. Place a net lengthwise in and slowly move it towards the cories. It's okay if you get multiple at one time. Transfer them over or place them in a bucket filled with tank water to transfer them in

I've had this problem too. You can do one of two things:

The easiest I've found is to get a breeder net (like this: Top Fin&#0174 Net Breeder - Fish Care - Fish - PetSmart) and put it in one end of the tank then sort of "herd" the corys that way with a regular fish net. Usually you'll get at least one or two that go right into the breeding net.

Or if you're using a regular fish net, slowly chase the corys with the net until you can get one into a corner or against the glass. GENTLY slide the net under the cory and sort of pull upwards to get it to go up the side of the glass. Usually you can get them to fall inside the net this way. It takes some patience and practice though.

I had trouble catching my mollies when I was moving them. I used two methods:

For one I simply threw some food in and just scooped him out as he was distracted.
For the other I had to use a huge Tupperware bowl to corral and eventually scoop her up. I later just invested in a bigger net.

The problem is, the tank is the fluval edge with the small opening at the top. Difficult to partition of the tank, and it's not very big to both hands into the tank.

I spent a good 10 or 20 minutes trying to net my pleco last night. Finally I gave up and rinsed out a freezer bag and put it in with the mouth wide open. Then it was a matter of chasing him in the bag and draining the water enough that I could close/lift the bag out of the tank. It might work for you too. Good luck.

I would recomend dropong the water to maybe 6" from.the bottom. If your worried about altering your parametrs you can save some water and the put it back in.

All good ideas. But try them with the lights off(tank/room). But with cory cats, you never know. My 3are flying around even at night.

Back in my aquarium shop days I use to try to chase expensive or sharp finned fish into the bag, we ended up using Lees Specimen Boxes against the front glass about a couple inches from a corner, much like the breeder net suggestion. Just about every fish out there is pretty easily herded into a clear box with a net... saves on disruption to ornaments, other fish, the fish itself, just put the net over the end of the box once it's in and it will try to swim out the backside (the bottom of the box). Easy peasy for just about everything other than kuhli loaches and other crazy flexible fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom