Help! Changed Substrate and Fish are Dying.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artmeg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have had our tank for some time now. We started with fake plants then moved to real ones. (So much nicer). However, our substrate was not good enough for our plants and it was just getting nasty. So I changed the substrate. It is now a two layer substrate. I made sure everything was safe for the fish. Suddenly we started losing our neon tetras. This morning we are now down to 2 tetras after have 8 at the beginning of the week. We had 4 Julii Cory's, now one is not doing good. She is staying in the ground, and when she tries to swim her belly goes up. I checked all the levels of my take with the tests that we do have and the water is perfect. So don't know what to do. Please help!

Ammonia 0
pH 5.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

I believe those were the numbers. I'm going to be running another test later

No. When I did the substrate change I kept 50% of the original tanks water, pH normally sitting way to high at 7.5. I added new clean water (with water we always change with).

I think thats the elephant in the room. A swing of pH from 7.5 to 5.5. I would wager something in the substrate caused that. What substrate did you change to?

That would be my thought. Stratum is known to lower pH and a 2 degree change is a big change in water parameters, even if done slowly. pH of 5.5 is low anyway.

All out other fish seem to be doing ok for now. What should we do to help them adapt?

Not sure there is anything to be done now. The water has been like that a week now? The fish have either acclimated or not. Quarantine sick fish if you can, acclimate them to water parameters of the QT if you do move them. Plenty of oxygen (surface agitation) helps with shock.

Back
Top Bottom