Help cleaning up tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lakersin05

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My boyfriend has a 55 galloon freshwater tank that has been up and running for over a year. He has a Fluvall filter (thats all he can tell me about it!), 4 angelfish, 2 neon glowfish, 5 small plants (they came in a bag full of African swords, he's not sure what they are) and very, very fine black sand. I just moved here, and its a mess! The plants are dying, fish have died, he doesn't test the water, etc. We have tried cleaning the sand with a vacuum pump, but it just sucks it up since it is so fine. I don't want to overstep my boundries too much, but I have to do something. Where should I start?

i would dump everything thats dead and cycle the tank again if its that much of an eyesore but thats just me

If there is nothing in there but plants, it would be easiest to take everything out, drain it down and clean it that way. A python water changer would make it easy to get the substrate clean by stirring it up, then syphoning off the dirty water til it is clean. This would be a good point to investigate what it takes to keep aquarium plants and either upgrade substrate and light etc, or just go with low light plants or no plants at all.

If you have fish and some plants that are alive i suggest-
Adding gravel over the sand/substrate to help with gravel vac-ing
Do a 50% water change
And test your water to see where you should go from there

His plants could be dying for numerous reasons- what is the wattage of the lights? What sand/substrate is he using? Does he use fertilizer or...?

I say over step your boundries =o)

[center:318fc9a89b] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, lakersin05!! :n00b: [/center:318fc9a89b]

Yikes, this is a tough one!! If the 4 angelfish, and 2 neon glowfish are alive, you must do small PWC. The fish can be killed by clean water at this point. Keep in mind, any swings in water parameters can stress a fish--even if it is for the best.

Start with 20% PWC every other day for a week. Also, get some water parameter test kits--ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH. If he does not have a thermometer, get one! Begin pulling out the dead plants, as they are contributing to nitrates and (in all probablity) a lower pH. When you vacuum over the sand, keep the vacuum 1 1/2-2" from the substrate. If the sand is still being sucked up, consider replacing it once the tank is stablized.
Keep us updated and we will get you, the fish, and your man through this :wink:

Back
Top Bottom