Help - Clowns & Yoyo's flashing & sick. Ich maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi and thank you for this. I wanted to write earlier but I just finished a big water change and need to look for any casualties in my tank, since they are all hiding, test the water and hope. I saw my smaller Clown and he is not good.
I have pondering and hoping I had the order right. You put the pot scrubbers in the back where the water flows through first to go back in tank, then the finer studd where it pours out? I like the sponge at the impeller but it is already clogged up by the time it gets there. I wanted to ask more but I really have to tend to my little guys and will be back later tonight. I am so happy you sent th epics and description. I had a couple things to share about the filtering too. Til then. Thank you very much!

Helllo all,
I did a water change tonight and had some different readings. I am not sure if they mean that the cycle is coming along or if I am just anxious. They were:
PH - 7.2
Ammonia - .25
Nitrites - Just about 0
Nitrates - 0
Do these sound right? Shouldn't there be at least nitrates with no nitrites?
The fish overall got perkier after the change but they have been doing that for a few hours and then declining. The ones that are still roaming around now look great. I can't wait to see how tomorrow is. Meanwhile barely any sleep this week, so I am turning, I wanted to mention something about the floss for te tanks but I have to look up the name of the material. Good night.

The only way to see if your cycle is progressing is to judge it over a longer period of time. Like i said, try and keep your ammonia + nitrite combined not exceeding 0.5ppm. If you are currently doing 50% water changes per day to maintain this and in a weeks time you are able to cut back to 30% every other day for instance then you know your cycle is establishing.

Cycling a tank typically takes 6 to 8 weeks. You have only been going a couple of weeks.

I wouldnt worry about not seeing nitrate. You have been changing a lot of water so even if present it wont be at readable levels. It's only when you are able to cut back on water changes that nitrate will show to any discernible level.

Thank you so much. I awoke this morning to the 4th of my 5 Clowns (the smaller of the 2 oldest ones) having passed thru the night. My big girl is the remaining Clown and she is not well. The Tetras were active as they have been thru this ordeal. The Pandas are still doing well. On a more positive note, the Yoyos were moving around, as they have not been eating, and when they weren’t flashing, lethargic for days, almost a week. The loss of my smaller of the 2 Clowns left (I had them since babies for several years along with 4 of the yoyos and my pandas) left me feeling helpless and sad for my fish this morning. My delight in providing all of my fish, with an additional 40 gallons of play room a month ago, has been exhausted by my ignorance of not knowing the importance of providing them with healthy environment of good water parameters. Hopefully, my misfortune will help another newcomer to avoid the same demise.
I have resolved myself to the possibility of losing all of my fish but I am determined to keep working on my cycle, and continue to figure out and learn proper filtering of the water. What I can’t resolve myself to, is watching these fish get picked off one by one, because I really think there is something going on other than bad water with these guys, and it’s more than one disease, parasite or illness. I am wondering, since they all may not make it, what does it hurt to treat them with some mild antibiotic or other medicine (like API General Cure or something). I am not into medicating my fish, but I want to save them if I can. They have lived in my lousy conditions for several years and if they are all going to die now because of it, what could it hurt to try, if it is not just the toxic water alone? Just my thoughts this morning. I am sorry if I am rambling but I guess I am groping for something to help them . I am off to check my water. I hope to hear back. I would like to post later about filtering and discuss cleaning, when I should introduce plants, etc.
One last thought. I have an established 35 gal 4 feet from this tank. There are many tiny (most ¾-1”) healthy fish in it. I have a 25 gal in my attic which I guess isn’t helpful. I wouldn’t want to cause more death but I thought maybe??

Hello. I am trying to determine how to do the filter. I liked mj ideas and the pics helped. I looked up floss and could not find the element or chemical I had seen that you should make sure it does not contain. However, I read that it can mess up your nitrates but if used properly, it's ok. I wondered if it was even worth using? Any thoughts? I have those Tetra whisper unassembled media and holder and thought if I did the sponge near the impeller (in the bottom of the Tetra power filter canister, where the water feeds from the intake tube?}, then the rough stuff (pot scrubbers), then some bio balls or equal in the tetra media and holder, then floss where the water then pours into the tank. My only confusion if my scenario is good is, what medias to clean, how often and with what (all tank water?). Do you use tank water, perhaps from a water change?, out of your tank the same day to do this? When you clean off plants, do you use tank water? I think I covered everything. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks so much!

Hello. I am continuing water changes and testing. My test minutes ago was:
PH - 7.2
AMMO - .25 ppm
Nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0
I am losing fish still. Yoyo yesterday, and my last Clown loach this morning. The Pandas, catfish and Tetras still seem to be well since the onset. My remaining Yoyos are flashing badly, not eating still, panting, and lethargic when not flashing. Is this all to be expected still and I wish I knew when they should start to look better if they are going to even survive? Could the rest of the fish still go downhill from this even though they seem well?
Thank you for any ideas or thoughts.

I forgot to ask if I should keep doing daily water changes of 50% since they are still dying? Thank you very much.

If your water parameters are ok (ammonia + nitrite combined at no higher than 0.5ppm) then dont do water change. Change some water weekly regardless of water parameters.

Thanks so much. Did you see my post right before? Do you have any ideas or I should just wait.....and hope.

I think doing nothing but water changes isnt helping. Loaches dont respond well to medication though. Something mild like melofix or pimafix might help but these are generally preventatives and not much good as treatments.

Im also from the UK and antibiotic medications (like the general cure you mentioned in a previous post) is not available here without a vets prescription, so i have no experience of using them and i would be wary of making recommendations on medications i have never used on fish ive never kept. I use esha 2000 as a general cure, but it wont be as effective as medication available elsewhere (im assuming you are USA).

Yes I am from US. I don't like using any medications either unless I know it's the correct medication. I have one more question regarding the water. They all seemed to be happier after the water changes, should I continue maybe 25% a day until I see what's going on with these guys?

If the fish are happier after water change then i would keep them up. Are you providing lots of surface agitation? Either through your filter or a bubbler?

I have 4 HOB filters pouring water in the top and I didn't fill the tank to the top so it would make more bubbles. I also have 6 of the aeration tubes (6and 10" long) going around the perimeter of the tank.

I want to thank you and everyone so much for the help and knowledge shared with my water problems and the moral support with my fish. I have experienced the first and greatest loss of many fish that I cared for, but it was my irresponsibility for not being more educated on the proper maintenance and care of my fish. I am just going to keep the water as safe as I can and hope the rest can pull through. If it wasn't for all of your help, I may not have anyone left. I think these guys are pulling through because of the vital information I received, in the time needed. Thank you so much again to all. I am very grateful!

Back
Top Bottom