help dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livefishguy124

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i recently got 80 cardnial tetras, there were living in a bucket with airation and a heater for a couple days with bi daily water changes till i could add them to my eagle project.

well i fed them for the first time, they ate. then i went upstairs.
10 mins later they are all dead, except for 1 lucky guy, i thoght, whats in that food? i went to meve him into my 10 gallon tank before he died, to give him a chance, then realised

The water is warm!

To Warm!

sure enough that top fin 100w heater cooked those tetra's at 97 degrees,

goodbye 250$ in fish ganed from donations.

so i ask you guys.

whats the best way to go abut geting my money back for a heater and fish?

i talked to customer service he was very nice. he said i would need to talk with the maneger of the store i bought from.

is there any chance i get money for those fish?

what should i do.

snd p.s. when i buy new fish im going to have my friend at the lfs buy nice big cardnial wholesale, but charge me retail, plus some to screw them for making crapy stuff..

I don't think a heater company will compensate you for fish or damage done by heater.
I think most everything in this world has some sort of 'dis claimer' mentioning this in their warranty?
Get a good heater like an Aqueon Pro.
I am amazed at the money people shell out for fish but squirrel away for their fish keeping equipment..No real savings on that heater huh?

I’m thinking you might get a refund for the cost of the heater only unfortunately.
As for the 80 cardinals in a bucket, you might be better off getting smaller numbers (10-20). Might cost more but you reduce the risk of total loss due to unforeseen catastrophes. Also, assuming the tank (120 gallon, mentioned in other threads) is already cycled. Adding that many fish at one time is not a wise decision unless frequent testing and water changes are in the works.

Was it a heater malfunction or could it have been possibly set too high? I´d think a 100w heater in a bucket would get too warm really quickly, even if it was on a low setting. Sorry, I hope I´m wrong but I don´t see you getting compensated for this. Very unfortunate, cardinals are one of my favorite community fish. :(

Back
Top Bottom