Help diagnosing browning HC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRingOfFire

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

5 week old tank with HC amongst other things.
I've included photos of the dying HC as well as the healthy stuff.

Firstly:
270L
3x30W T8
2x39W T5
UV Sterlizer
Co2 @30ppm
~24-27celcius
Flourish comprehensive twice weekly
Siamese algae eaters
Darwin algae eaters
RCC
Oto's

Few points:

-Tank had bad hair algae problem that covered the HC before fish were introduced, but sparkling clean for 2+ weeks.
-HC hugs the substrate in highly lit areas (where it is dying), more vertical BUT LUSH growth in shaded areas. (Sufficient lighting is therefore a non-issue, but is excessive lighting one??)
-very small snails everywhere, multiplying rapidly
-Roots to frogbit eaten by SAE's until wafers were introduced (damaging HC when hungry?)
-Flourish comprehensive and flourish potassium. Not enough ferts? Too much?
-basic parameters are good
-not enough Co2?

Thank you kindly,
Jayna

Attachments

• image-2677971019.jpg
    image-2677971019.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 63
  • image-2327492222.jpg
    image-2327492222.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 78
It causes algae outbreaks that can kill your plants yes

I took care of that with the addition of the inhabitants and a UV sterilizer. Now I NEED algae to feed them so I've instead been supplementing their diet with wafers. From what you've said, my photoperiod is a non-issue.

A uv sterilizer does nothing for any algae other than green water. 11 hours is a bit much, and eventually you're cleaners won't keep up or have a taste for certain types of algae. I'd cut it to 6-8 hours. The tank is still young, so you may not have seen the worst of all algae out breaks. The HC may just still be acclimating to your tanks conditions. A better fert regime may benifit you.

Edit: you could be seeing nutrient deficiencies in the non shaded areas... Too much light + not enough nutrients = unhappy plants.

Last edited:
If you have high light and CO2, then you pretty much MUST have dry ferts to keep up with it and have the degree of control you'll need, long term. It's probably possible to use premade liquids, but it's not economically smart nor as effective.

you could be seeing nutrient deficiencies in the non shaded areas... Too much light + not enough nutrients = unhappy plants.

Thanks Biplbug, this is the most logical explanation. I'll look at a different fert regime. Any suggestions using flourish comprehensive alone, or will I need to dose independently?

Thanks for your help

Thanks Biplbug, this is the most logical explanation. I'll look at a different fert regime. Any suggestions using flourish comprehensive alone, or will I need to dose independently?

Thanks for your help

Like aqua chem said, dosing with dry ferts would be best, via EI or PPS-Pro method. Buying Dry and mixing your own ends up being much cheaper in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom