HELP. Didn't cycle tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eric1212

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up my tank on monday (Aqueon 36 gallon bow front with aquaclear 50, 200w heater, nutrition c02 yeast reactor kit/diffuser, lifeglo 20w bulb) and added 2 bags of fluorite and some gravel, filled it and added dechlorinator. Wed I drained the water and refilled it because it was so cloudy from fluorite. Added 2 pieces of mopani wood on friday and planted the tank with about 16 plants in total. On saturday i changed out 5gals of water and add 3 amano shrimp and 3 red cherry shrimp. Here I am today reading about the proper steps to setting up a tank and cycling for at least 2-4weeks realizing all the things i have done wrong and how much more complex this is. Ive learned a lot reading today and i am just left wondering as to what i should do know with my tank. the driftwood has white fur on it, the shrimp appear to be moving around a bit but can be seen hiding together. Are they doomed? should i just start over?

The tank is cloudy and I'm wondering if I should do a 5gal water change

I see two options: 1. Take the shrimp back and cycle the tank properly. 2. Get a better light for your plants and stick it out, watching your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate level very closely and doing partial water changes when levels get high, possibly everyday. The plants (depending on the size) should help out a lot. But 20Ws of light in a 36 will not do much, if anything for plants (depending on what they are). Shrimp generally are not very hardy, so they my not make it. Keep reading and learn from your mistakes, you are definitely not the first person to do this, nor will you be the last. Don't be too hard on yourself, just keep learning. Look for posts or articles about "fish-in cycles"

Well, the driftwood is probably molding, which happens occasionally. don't worry though, it's not harmful to your fish and should clear up within a couple weeks.

As for what you should do: buy a liquid test kit as soon as possible. there is a thing called "fish in cycling", read up on it, that'll be your savior in this case. You'll want to test the water daily and if ammonia goes over .25ppm then you'll have to do a water change so that your shrimp don't die. It will take longer to do it this way, but it'll keep your shrimp alive and is very possible. I did it with my first 3 tanks because I was to impatient to wait for a cycle to be completely before adding fish

The white coming off of the wood is fine, it is not harmful to the shrimp or fish. If you hate how it looks you can scrape it off, or take it out and soak it in a bucket for a few days/weeks. It will also start turning your water brown because it is releasing tannins, also not dangerous, some people even prefer this to an extent. If you keep your filter running, as long as it is not splashing too much, it will help settle the cloudiness. When you do water changes, ensure you are not splashing water into the tank, have it run down the inside, over your hand, or onto a plate/into a container.

I'm going to buy a test kit tomorow after work, should I do a 5gal water change tonight? I have a pail of water with dechlorinator in it that is about room temperature that's been sitting for 8 hours.

A 5gal water change couldn't hurt. But if you do it, you need to heat the water to the same temperature as the tank before adding it, otherwise the shrimp will have issues with the rapid change in temperature

Will my plants die with that lighting (t8 life glo 20w 24" bulb) can I get more powerful bulbs for that hood in 24"

Anachris, java ferns, and some types of Anubis will be ok in that light. To support much else you will need a stronger light fixture, or an additional light. I'm not an expert in lighting, so I can not give too many specifics. Usually T5 lighting and power compact fixtures work well for plants. Others use LEDs, but those can get expensive. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can step in, but in the mean time you need to research posts and articles about lighting a planted tank

A 5gal water change couldn't hurt. But if you do it, you need to heat the water to the same temperature as the tank before adding it, otherwise the shrimp will have issues with the rapid change in temperature

It wont be a big enough amount of water to cause any problems, I wouldn't worry.

I have a link you can click that sends you to a spot with other links off of this website. Under my post here, as my signature, you can click the link after "Freshwater Newbie? Click this:" there is a link under that link that says: "I already bought fish, but just learned about cycling, what now?" Thatll help you figure out what to do until it is cycled.

Shrimp are very sensitive to fluctuating water parameters, so youll have to be extra careful if you plan on keeping them through this cycle.

I just skimmed through this thread, so idk whats already been said, but youll need to do a lot of water changes to keep the parameters in check. Invest in a API Freshwater Master Test kit or something of the sort, LIQUID test kit :) Other tests seem to be inaccurate. I would test daily, if not more.

Back
Top Bottom