Help! Do I have Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WizardHowl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Guys,
Please bare with me, I did read the ick article that's a sticky but I still have questions. First off here is what is in my 55 gallon tank:

2 fercata rainbows
5 dwarf rainbows
3 boesmani rainbows
4 dojo loaches

One of my dwarf rainbows today, I noticed, has a white spot on its back fin. Just one, and I don't see it on other fish. I really want to treat it as quick as possible if it is ich, I heard of its a single speck it might now be ich, but I'm just not sure. I tried to take a picture but the fish just moves way too fast.

Also, this is probably not ich, but I noticed that one of my other dwarf rainbows looks like it grew sort of a bump looking thing on its mouth, it almost looks like it has a very small chin, do you know what this could possibly be?

Thanks guys!

Ich spots look like grains of salt. They are very tiny. The fish also flash against objects due to itching. It doesn't sound like ich to me at this point based on your description. Are the fish flashing at all? You can slowly raise the temp to 87F if you are truly concerned about it being ich, I don't think it is though. It may be fungal or bacterial in nature. Is it fuzzy or cottony at all? What are you exact water parameters? How long is has your tank been set up? Have you added anything including fish to the tank recently?

The bump like thing on your other rainbow, is it white or reddish or just the color of the fish?

The first thing I do when I suspect any type of illness is a water change. 50% is what I do. A lot of illnesses are caused by water conditions being less than great.

Back
Top Bottom