Help! Fish Jumped Out. Now Going Nuts!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a Gold Gourami that jumped out of the tank. It heard him jump out, hit the top of the tank a couple times and then hit the floor. I don't know what he landed on, but he was on the carpet when I found him. It was a metter of 20 seconds before I got him back into the tank. I covered up the hole where he jumped out, so that's taken care of so far

Then he started spinning in circles for a couple minutes. I thought he was going to be okay, but after five minutes he flipped out and darted up and down, from the surface, all the way down to the sand and back up again over and over. He then went upside down and swam upside down for a while. Then he went on his side and slowly floated down to the bottom of the tank and laid their pointed nose down for a while. Now the fish is in the corner, swimming upright, but staying in the corner.

Is there anything I should watch out for now? I'm really worried. :?

Edit: Here is that video of him spinning around, which is what he did originally. I just uploaded it, so if it doesn't show up, give it a minute or two.

I think he may have broken his spine. He swims properly most of the time, but then he will end up on his side and curved a bit. Then he looks like he is trying to to upright himself and will spin around, going up and down and eventually right himself.

BTW, I am using "him" to describe the fish, but I'm not sure if it is a male fish are not really. It's the one in the background with the longer, larger dorsal fin.

img_784429_0_df5664125112641bf378b5b7bbd843af.jpg

On close inspection, I notice the left fin looks red where it joins the body and a bit of the scales on the head look like they got scraped off. That is probably a result of the fall. Hopefully the fish makes it.

Second Edit: I don't think the fall made the fish go crazy. I think the crazy "spasms" is how the fish ended up jumping out of the tank. I don't know why the fish is doing this! He swims fine and then will flip out jump up, hitting the bottom, and jumping upt again. It happens over and over. Anyone?

Final Edit: I turned out the lights to see if the fish would calm down. I heard one more spasm and I heard him hit the lid of the tank again. I turned on the lights again and he was pointed nose down in a plant. It's a sad loss, and I still have no idea what was going on with the fish. Everyone else in the tank is doing fine. I actually did a water changes two days ago. Other than that, I have no idea what may have caused this. This seemingly just happened starting with the fish jumping out of the tank when I first posted this. If anyone has any ideas what happened, I'm interested to hear so hopefully I can prevent this in the future possibly.

I had the same thing happen to a fish at work before, it jumped out, hit the floor, I picked it up and put it back and it spun around and around, up and down, etc. etc. It ended up living though, but still... I guess the fall was just too much for it. My guess as to why it was swimming all over the place, is that it was just so stressed and it messed with the swim bladder, which caused it to lose all sense of direction and...well...everything.

Sorry for the loss, they are beaufitul in your picture. :(

Everyone else seems to be doing okay in the tank today, so I'm happy about that. Here are some of the last images of the Gourami.

img_784655_0_b133ce789774baa8b7445082be9f9a5c.jpg

img_784655_1_24de74c14a40b5633fdbdb91684a99ea.jpg

img_784655_2_2d59ec7d54e61e03de582d9dc871e890.jpg

Back
Top Bottom