Help fixing Whisper 10i filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
This started making a loud vibration noise, then stopped pumping water.

I didn't get to it for awhile, and it's warm (oops), so the motor is still going I think.

I pulled it all apart, cleaned around the impeller, etc. I tested it while it was open and the impeller started spinning when I plugged it in.

10 minutes later I put it back together and into the tank. It ran perfectly for about 30 seconds, did the noisy vibration thing for another 30, then stopped pumping water.

It's unplugged now. Suggestions? I'm entirely new to servicing the insides of filters.

It's been running for 9 months in a 3 gallon betta tank. I admit this is the first time I cleaned the inside (wasn't very dirty, the tank gets a lot of attention).

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

This started making a loud vibration noise, then stopped pumping water.

I didn't get to it for awhile, and it's warm (oops), so the motor is still going I think.

I pulled it all apart, cleaned around the impeller, etc. I tested it while it was open and the impeller started spinning when I plugged it in.

10 minutes later I put it back together and into the tank. It ran perfectly for about 30 seconds, did the noisy vibration thing for another 30, then stopped pumping water.

It's unplugged now. Suggestions? I'm entirely new to servicing the insides of filters.

It's been running for 9 months in a 3 gallon betta tank. I admit this is the first time I cleaned the inside (wasn't very dirty, the tank gets a lot of attention).

It could just be that the motor has quit or the impeller is cavitating for some reason. I personally LOVE the aquaclear HOb filter, easy to maintenance and silent! Try a Aquaclear 20. PLENTY of filtration for your tank, but it will need to be recycled

It could just be that the motor has quit or the impeller is cavitating for some reason. I personally LOVE the aquaclear HOb filter, easy to maintenance and silent! Try a Aquaclear 20. PLENTY of filtration for your tank, but it will need to be recycled

I love my Aquaclear 50, that I have on my 29 gallon!

But this is a 3 gallon tank with a betta that doesn't like current.

What do you mean cavitating? Is there something else I can try? I'm looking for a solution under $15, as I'd planned in the near future to spend that on replacing a cracked 10 gallon for which I have a larger whisper filter ... transferring the fish and filter media to that tank and filter.

Well, you can buy a brand new filter for $13.99 on Amazon. I had a similar problem where the filter would be running, but not sucking any water. It turned out I had to take the impeller apart (everything will pull off that metal rod). I wiped it down and rinsed it off and it's been working ever since. It took me a while to figure out you could pull the impeller off the rod :facepalm:

Good luck.

I love my Aquaclear 50, that I have on my 29 gallon!

But this is a 3 gallon tank with a betta that doesn't like current.

What do you mean cavitating? Is there something else I can try? I'm looking for a solution under $15, as I'd planned in the near future to spend that on replacing a cracked 10 gallon for which I have a larger whisper filter ... transferring the fish and filter media to that tank and filter.

I'de say your best bet is buy a new one and then take the one that you have now apart and see if it can be fixed if not and you break it then oh well and if you fix it then you have an extra filter and everyone knows you cant have unused filters sitting around so then you get another tank! lol.

Usually a loud noise and lack of water pumping means the impeller has separated and now needs to be replaced. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a new filter than it is to buy a new impeller.

Thanks for the ideas. I hadn't tried taking the impeller off its rod.

But overall it looks like it's just time to retire the 3 gallon set, replace the cracked 10 gallon tank, and use its perfectly good filter to get my sons tank running again.

(Then I don't have an extra filter around, I have an extra 3 gallon tank and light and heater ... )

You may simply need a new impeller. They do not last forever. Regular cleaning helps them last a bit longer. Cavitation means water bubbles are forming and that can make a great deal of noise. If cleaning does not solve the problem, it nearly always means a new impeller is needed, sometimes it can mean a new impeller shaft is needed, depending on the filter design. Usually these parts are available, some fish stores will have them or you might have to buy them online, maybe from the maker of the filter. New ones usually run around ten bucks or so here, might be cheaper where you are.

You can keep Betta fish without any filter at all, if you have a bunch of plants in with them. I only have to change water about once every six weeks, with 4 Bettas in 2.5 G tanks. They have loads of plants, and that keeps nitrates down, and there's never been any ammonia or nitrite. The plants came from established tanks and I expect they came with some BB on them, but wherever they came from, keeping the plants with the fish has meant next to no water changes, just top ups for evaporation. The tanks do have a light, plants won't grow without one. It's a cheap utility clamp lamp with an 8 inch round reflector, sits right on the tank rim and has a spiral 6500 K bulb in it.. 11 watts I think, or maybe 9 watts. I have a plastic mesh cover on too, so the fish can't jump. I grow Hygro difformis, java and other mosses & anubias in the tanks and a few frogbits. So maybe you can get some plants and just wait 'til you get the other tank going.

The filter I have downstairs may have an impeller I can borrow ...

His heavily planted are your betta tanks? Do you have a photo?

I have an ozelot sword, brazilian pennywort, and one pot each microsword and crypt parva in there. It doesn't keep nitrates down. I've heard water sprite does so was thinking of putting some of that in.

Well holy cow. You were right. Zero ammonia or nitrite, and nitrates are LOWER than when I was running a filter.

So not only is it fine, it appears to be better without the filter?

Back
Top Bottom