help for my dads tank please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jen54

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am setting up a small 36 liter (10 gal) tank for my elderly dad who has mild dementia. I took him to the lfs and he fell in love with the silver tip tetras. My question is can I have just 3 of these and 3 neon tetras - will they shoal together? I don't think I should have more than 6 altogether but I know my mum will prefer the coloured neons.

I think you could put five of each in there if you added some living plants--even low light plants like hornwort or java moss. Make sure the filter is rated for a 20 gallon tank--and cycle it first. Good luck.

I happen to have 3 silvertips in my 10 gallon quarantine tank at the moment, waiting to go into my main tank.

It might just be these ones but they are noticeably more shy and hide more in a small group like that. I think you might be better off with a slightly higher number of the same kind, rather than 3 of one and 3 of another.

They are a good choice though, lively and hardy. Just be aware that in a small tank like that, they can get a little nippy toward other fish

Silver tipped tetras are very nice fish but they can indeed be nippy especially in smaller tanks.

Back
Top Bottom