Help! Glofish whirling and swimming crazy (video)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Renewablemommy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! I'm new here, and still learning as much as I can so bare with me!
I had a spike in ph and ammonia lat last week which I have now resolved but unfortunately in the process my oto got ich. I movedy snail and pregnant ghost shrimp to my isolation tank where my balloon Molly was Getting ready for my 15 gallon and treated for ich and continued to do 15% water changes to treat ammonia. My levels have been great now for a few days and my oto is less spotty but still needs more treatment. My glofish however has been acting crazy. Whirling, swimming erratically, swimming upside down or sideways. I moved him to the isolation tank too, but I have no idea what to do next. All help will be appreciated!!! Thanks so much!!
Video here:
http://youtu.be/cWNsM3Q42Ng

It did begin after the ich meds, so that is very possible! The isolation tank is medication free so hopefully that will help? She is doing it less (been in isolation tank for 3 days now) but won't eat.

She eagerly ate this morning, but her eagerness to swim to her food sent her in a swimming fit again. But, she did eat!!

It should help. What meds were you using? I wouldn't worry about feeding for a few days and meds-free water should help.

That would do it if the fish is a bit sensitive. It's reacting to what it feels is bad water chemistry (in this case the meds which are trying to kill off the ich but not your fish - a fine line sometimes).

I guess just in case - there is also the heat treatment option for ich which I'd assumed you had heard of? Best of luck with the fish.

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

That was the first thing I did, as per advice from other threads here :)
The ich is almost gone (a few small spots left on my oto) and my glofish seems to be making a full recovery in my isolation tank! She hasn't had a crazy swimming episode since yesterday morning! I think you were right about the meds. Poor fish :(
Thanks so much for helping me through this!

No worries, I've done that myself with meds so thought it might match.

One other I have tried with same issue is rosemary wood and that caused spasms in one fish (other fish didn't bat an eyelid) so interesting how fish can be differently impacted by meds/water chemistry.

Back
Top Bottom