Help! Going through 2nd cycle???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swchic02

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone! I need some help, I think I've really messed things up.

My new tank went through a cycle, or so I thought. Ammonia went up, then Nitrite, then both at 0 ppm and Nitrate at 5-10 ppm. I added 2 small ocellaris clowns (about an inch each) and 4 crabs for cleanup. That was about a week ago. I've been testing the water everyday and slowly the ammonia has been creeping up. Nitrite is still 0 ppm and nitrate still 5-10 ppm. My lfs said I should start dosing with Ammo-lock to neutralize the ammonia and Seachem stability to add more beneficial bacteria. This morning, the ammonia read 1 ppm! Have I totally screwed up my tank? My fish seem happy. They move around and eat fine. I haven't done any water changes yet but am planning on doing one when I get home this evening. Will that help get the ammonia under control? Do you think my bio filter is hosed? Or did I not have one to begin with? I've got an Eheim 2217 running and can see brown specs of bacteria, diatoms maybe, on the filter media, I've also got about 50# of base rock that bacteria should be living on.

Thanks for any advice you have!

I don't have my log with me, but I think ammonia got to about 5ppm before it came down. Should I stop dosing with the ammo-lock? I'm starting to wonder if maybe that's giving me false ammonia readings. I was going to do a 10-15% pwc tonight and another 10-15% tomorrow. Is that ok?

Did you add the CUC and the clowns at once? I was told to add the CUC and wait 2-3 weeks before adding fish. You might have added too at once and the bacteria can't handle it yet.

I just had a phantom spike of ammonia due to my having used the test tube for other tests which caused a false reading - I suggest you get a new kit and check again as soon as humanly possible. Else I have to agree with the comment above which suggests the bacteria may not have been able to keep up.

Well, I got 2 new ammonia tests, an API one that does total and and a Seachem one that just does free. The total level is still a little elevated, about .5 ppm and the free reads under .25 ppm. I haven't put ammo lock in since 4/7, which seems to have helped the readings. I also did 2 15% pwc over the weekend so that probably helped drop it also. Fish still seem ok, eating fine and swimming around.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom