Help - Ich Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baldrick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now, I have 6 neons and two Swordtails ( we had 3 until one left the tank without telling anyone) in a 20 gallon tank.

We've had the Swordtails for about a week and they now have a pretty good case of Ich. The medication (Jungle Ich Clear) says to use a half dose if you have scaleless, weak or small fish.

I take it that the neons fit into this category in at least one instance. Will a half dose cure the Swordtails? Will a full dose kill the Neons?

Thanks!

Don't use the stuff at all. Slowly raise the temperature to over 86F. Keep it that way for two weeks after the last signs of the ich is gone. Lower your water level a bit or add an airstone to increase surface agitation. Warm water hold less O2 than cooler water. Do regular PWC to keep the water nioe and clean for the fish. The ich will be gone in no time, without the use of harmful chemicals.

Rich is right, heat method is much better than meds. You won't have to worry about your bacterial cycle at all with heat.

Now that I have ICH I'm raising the temp in my planted tank....But fer some reason I remember hearing salt helped as well??? so I also put in the recommended dose of freshwater aquarium salt as well. Does anyone have recommendations on this??? Thanks

Yes, salt at 0.3% will kill ich <although there are resistent strains that will need 1% or more>, esp. when coupled with heat.

However, 0.3% salt will kill a lot of your plants. Remove plants if you want to go the salt route!

Or you can remove the fish & treat in a QT .... For my golds, I do a salt bath of 1% for 30 min followed by 0.3% for 2 weeks ... the 1% seems to clear up the spots faster, plus that is insurance for any salt resistent strains .... <Do not do the salt baths for sensitive fish ... golds are fine, but others need to have the salt levels raised gradually.>

Back
Top Bottom