Help Identify this algae please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boxi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I am new to the planting aquarium stuff, and i'm having a little trouble identifying this algae properly. Right now there is only one type of plant in the aquarium and that is Echinodorus tenellus (pygmy chain sword).
My tank is 38 gallons, I'm using DIY co2, 2x39w T5HO lighting, and dose flourish excel aswell. At first after planting the tank, I had issues with brown algae, but that seemed to run its course, and I added co2 about a week after that, a couple days after I added the co2, I noticed patches of green algae on my glass, i had to scrub pretty hard for it come off, but it came off, and i did a huge water change afterwards. Then about a day ago, I noticed more patches of algae on the glass, and this dark green algae growing on my plants and forming patches on the actual substrate as well. I'm obviously doing something wrong, and I could really use the help, sorry for the wall of text, I didn't want to leave anything out. Also, if you know what type of algae this is, please offer up any suggestions to help me get it out of my tank!

Oh and water parameters are:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrates: 20ppm

Pictures so you can see (sorry if they are blurry, had to use iphone)
This is a shot of the patches growing on the substrate..
2ps4ute.jpg

And this is the dark green fuzz like algae growing on the e. tenellus
10wqplw.jpg

Looks like BGA on the substrate and BBA on the plants themselves. I take it the stuff on the substrate is kind of slimey and comes off in sheets, and the stuff on the plants is bushy and can't be easily removed?

Looks like BGA on the substrate and BBA on the plants themselves. I take it the stuff on the substrate is kind of slimey and comes off in sheets, and the stuff on the plants is bushy and can't be easily removed?

Actually, the stuff on the plants comes off pretty easy, when i rub the plant leaf between two fingers, it comes off as a green patch, i uprooted my e. tenellus to try to scrap as much off the plants as possible, then i plan on scrubbing the algae off the walls of the aquarium, and vacuum as much of the substrate as possible. I know the problem will still be there, so i'm trying to decide if i should use hydrogen peroxide or some other treatment for the BGA.

Cyano refuses to go away. It has taken me a month to just about clear it up w/o a blackout or meds...

How did you get your cyanobacteria to go away?

I ended up having cyano in both my 38 gal and 10 gal, for my 10 gal i just took out all my plants, put my betta that housed the 10g in a smaller hospital tank, removed the substrate (i have new substrate that i've been meaning to change in the 10 gal anyways), I filled the aquarium itself with 1:19 bleach and water, i plan on letting it soak for an hour, and then I will remove the water, and refill it, i will add 10x the normal dose of prime to dechlorinate, then let that sit over night, and resume again tomorrow, with probably another fill and empty, and fill and empty just to make sure all the bleach is gone before i refill the tank once again,
also I dipped the plants into a 1:19 bleach/water solution aswell for 30 seconds and then rinsed with tap water, and put them into a bucket that was filled with tap water and about 5x the regular dose of prime, I am hoping this helps atleast my bettas 10gal, for the 38, my plan is still hydrogen peroxide administered via syringe :\

Basically I just unseeded all my noob mistakes. Added current, lighting, hornwort for a sponge. Also learned to balance CO2 with any dosing. .....and a lot of cleaning and WCs

Back
Top Bottom