HELP!! Is my cycle complete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noob Aquarist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
FIRST FOWLR TANK!!!!
I have been cycling my 55 gal tank for a good 4 weeks now with live rock (60lbs) and live sand (20lbs 2 inch sand bed). I have been doing 20% water changes weekly with RO/DI system. Last week I had a raw shrimp in there just to be sure my ammonia was at its highest. During the week I had the raw shrimp in there, this is what my levels were:
Ammonia: .5 ppm
Nitrates: 40 ppm
Nitrites: 5 ppm
ph: 8
Salinity: 1.026

Just last night I took another level reading:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 40 ppm
Nitrites: .25 ppm - color on my test kit looked closer to 0 but wasn't positive
ph: 8
Salinity: 1.025

Am I good to start adding fish yet? Cleanup crew? or are my nitrates too high? I bought dry live rock from BRS so No algea growth on anything yet. Any advice or input would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Pretty close it think. You are not really supposed to do water changes during the cycle, it delays the process a bit. You do need 0 nitrites so wait until that goes down then stock slowly. One, maybe two fish to start with a couple of weeks in between :)

+1 wait till levels drop to 0. Than I would still wait another week or two when the do. Just to be safe and retest water levels. You still will prob have a algae bloom after cycle is done.
Better safe than sorry, and cheaper.

I'd complete the cycle and then do a 20gallom water change and see if the brings your nitrates down. I like to be less than 10ppm on nitrate tests. Keeps everything happier. Think of nitrates as pollution in you water. The lower the better.

Back
Top Bottom