Help I've fallen in love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saffikeagan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today I saw the cutest little female Betta. It looked like someone had bred a Zebra Danillo with a Betta. It was all silver with these two black stripes running the length of its body.

Hence my new mantra:

"I do not need another tank!!"

Ack! I'm now home with a brand new 6.6 long for the female Betta. Lord! I'm debating whether this tank will go up to work with me.

I'm going to have to figure out how to post pictures. She is just a beauty.

Ack! I'm now home with a brand new 6.6 long for the female Betta. Lord! I'm debating whether this tank will go up to work with me.

I'm going to have to figure out how to post pictures. She is just a beauty.

She sounds pretty! I am not allowed another tank in the apartment. You gave me an idea of buying one for my office. Ehhhh heeee

To post pictures, you can use two options. If the picture is on your computer, use the "Attach Files" option in the reply screen (the "go advanced" screen, not the quick reply). Click on "Manage Attachments". and follow the prompts to select the file.

Or if the picture is already on a hosting site like Photobucket, click on the "Insert Image" icon directly above where you're typing your post. It looks like a little postcard with a stamp and a picture of a mountain. Copy the URL and then paste it into the "insert image" window.

Or if the picture is already on a hosting site like Photobucket, click on the "Insert Image" icon directly above where you're typing your post. It looks like a little postcard with a stamp and a picture of a mountain. Copy the URL and then paste it into the "insert image" window.

You can also just paste the IMG code(the one with

Here's Zebra (pronounced with a short 'e' like the Brits or the Aussies). Zebbie for short.

The pictures don't show it well, but her top fin is spotted with little bluish dots.

Attachments

• Zebbie3.jpg
    Zebbie3.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 48
Oh no, I was just reading on line (various places) that horizontal stripes mean the female beta is stressed, and when she destresses the stripes will disappear. Is this true? I mean, I'll still like her anyway, but I just love the stripes. :(

Tifta,

The tank I got I think would be perfect for an office because it's long, narrow, and lightweight. The filter probably needs an upgrade and it doesn't come with a heater, but conversely, I can chuck it on top of a plasterboard bookcase and not worry about the whole thing collapsing.

PETCO Bookshelf Aquarium Kit at PETCO

normally I would say yes about stress, but if you are giving her great accomedations and they are not going away perhaps they are bred into her.. I can't be 100% about it though

Generally Horizontal stripes mean stress and Verticle stripes mean she's ready to breed. Give her a few days to settle in and the stripes will probably be less noticable. Some more plants (fake or real) would give her additional hiding places and aid in her relaxing.

Wheee! She is really lovely. I'd love to see a pic of the tank.

I got a female very similar to her from a friend that was tearing down a tank. She maintains her stripes, though less prominently, even now that she is very happy in her wad of hornwort in my 75 gallon.

When we were catching her and a few others we found a baby betta, around an inch long. My friend had always suspected the other "female" was a male, and I guess she was right. :rolleyes:

EDIT:
You gave me an idea of buying one for my office. Ehhhh heeee
Ha-I just dragged a 5 gallon and all the fixins, piece by piece, on the el train, to work and set it up. Put the light on a timer, stocked very lightly with shrimp and snails, and LOCKED UP THE FOOD.

Ah, locking up the food, great idea!!!!

The other thing I like about this cheap tank is that the only way to get to the water besides removing the entire light/cover by prying it up from the back is through a small feeding flap that wouldn't fit even the hand of a 5 year old. Fingers still fit, but at least it's limited to fingers.

I'll post more pics :) I need to get pics of my main tank up sometime too.

Last edited:
Here.

I need to plant it more. As soon as my plants get established in my main tank, I'm going to use clippings to plant up Zebbie's tank.

Attachments

• Zebbie's tank 1.jpg
    Zebbie's tank 1.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Zebbie's tank 2.jpg
    Zebbie's tank 2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Zebbie's tank 4.jpg
    Zebbie's tank 4.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 51
Tifta,

The tank I got I think would be perfect for an office because it's long, narrow, and lightweight. The filter probably needs an upgrade and it doesn't come with a heater, but conversely, I can chuck it on top of a plasterboard bookcase and not worry about the whole thing collapsing.

PETCO Bookshelf Aquarium Kit at PETCO

OOOOHHHH, that is cute!!

Can you put female bettas in a tank of other fish? Or are they aggressive? I would love to save one from one of those plastic cups if I can :) They are purty!

That is a really cool little tank-most of the small ones are high rather than long. Very nice!

Ha again-I moved my cheapie tank, once all set up, to wedge it under an overhead bin, so someone would have to first slide it out, then open it, then do their tampering. The lid doesn't even have a feeding port, you have to haul the whole top, filter, lights and all, up to get a flake of food in there.

Honestly, if I didn't know the people I work with very well I wouldn't risk having a tank there. I'm mostly afraid of some kindhearted soul feeding them because they "looked hungry."

Back
Top Bottom