Help! Lethargic betta sitting in top corner of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylaraven

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve had my betta for around 6 months now, I got her from an amazing local shop focused on fish specifically. I have her in a 10 gallon tank, cycled, heated, decorated and filtering. She’s been doing amazing until Monday, that’s when I noticed that she was just sitting in the top right corner of her tank. The only time she moves is to eat (sometimes) but then she goes right back to the corner. She seems kind of bloated and has something white on the bottom of her belly. I’ve tried researching what it could be and what I can do but haven’t found much. I’ve already tried a 20% water change, the pea trick, vacuuming the gravel, and I’ve tested the water (not all on the same day of course). All the numbers I’m getting from my tests are great so I’m at a loss! Please help!

Attachments

• 49750522-0389-436B-9F52-FD2E33D393FE.jpg
    49750522-0389-436B-9F52-FD2E33D393FE.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 78
I’ve had my betta for around 6 months now, I got her from an amazing local shop focused on fish specifically. I have her in a 10 gallon tank, cycled, heated, decorated and filtering. She’s been doing amazing until Monday, that’s when I noticed that she was just sitting in the top right corner of her tank. The only time she moves is to eat (sometimes) but then she goes right back to the corner. She seems kind of bloated and has something white on the bottom of her belly. I’ve tried researching what it could be and what I can do but haven’t found much. I’ve already tried a 20% water change, the pea trick, vacuuming the gravel, and I’ve tested the water (not all on the same day of course). All the numbers I’m getting from my tests are great so I’m at a loss! Please help!

Its a good sign that its still eating.Have you provided places for him to rest and hide? Betta fish sleep and if they don’t have a spot they like they’ll choose a corner. He may be constipated, or he may just finally be comfy in your tank and is sleeping more. Definitely check that your temp hasn’t dropped. If he stops eating examine him for any other symptoms on his scales, head, fins, or belly

I have a few decorations in the tank currently, I’m waiting on some real plants I ordered to show up. I’ll definitely keep an eye on her though, I haven’t noticed anything wrong with her except that she seems kind of bloated and has a small white dot on the underside of her belly. I’ll see how she does for the next couple days to see what happens.

I have a few decorations in the tank currently, I’m waiting on some real plants I ordered to show up. I’ll definitely keep an eye on her though, I haven’t noticed anything wrong with her except that she seems kind of bloated and has a small white dot on the underside of her belly. I’ll see how she does for the next couple days to see what happens.

I hope she’s okay! Try offering him high fiber food. Boil some frozen peas and cool them and then peel off the skin. It might help her poo. To me she sounds constipated. Also feed her less or fast her for a few days. Bettas can go a long time without eating so don’t worry about starving her.

I hope she’s okay! Try offering him high fiber food. Boil some frozen peas and cool them and then peel off the skin. It might help her poo. To me she sounds constipated. Also feed her less or fast her for a few days. Bettas can go a long time without eating so don’t worry about starving her.

And do NOT worry about that white spot. Its an eggspot, just means you’ve correctly identified her gender! No sign of disease. She sounds constipated and maybe not swimming as much because of that.

Thank you SO much!!! I was super worried that it could be something much more serious. I will definitely be trying that pea trick and keeping a closer eye on how much she gets fed from now on!

UPDATE! Now she will NOT get up off the bottom of the tank! I saw her this morning and thought she had died :( I put a little bit of food in but she DID NOT move! She’s just laying on the rocks at the bottom. She doesn’t look bloated anymore but she’s super lethargic and I have no idea what is wrong!

Back
Top Bottom