Help me build a co2 setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Millerman

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've decided I'm going to stop using the excel/metricide method and try pressurized co2. If possible I would like to use pressurized and supplement a little with excel. Excel and metricide just aren't as cost efficient. The problem is I have no clue where to start or what to get? Do I want to buy seperate pieces or buy a pre built set up? I was thinking of using a paintball tank. My budget is around $50-80 could this be done?

The tank is a 55 gallon

$50-$80 is pretty low for getting everything you need. If you're ok buying everything used, you can get stuff cheaper but I spent around $200 getting mine set up.

You might want to see if you can find a 5 lb tank... 55 gal is pretty big and you might be refilling very often with a paintball tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

$90 will get you a aquatek premium regulator. $20 for a 20 oz. Tank and $20 for tubing and drop checker. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was looking at the aquatec solenoid or the aquatech mini if I use paintball. How long would would a 5lb last vs a 20 oz paintball. I was considering buying multiple paintball if I went that route to prolong refill times.

I was looking at the aquatec solenoid or the aquatech mini if I use paintball. How long would would a 5lb last vs a 20 oz paintball. I was considering buying multiple paintball if I went that route to prolong refill times.

4x as long.

And if you're going to spend $90 on a regulator, might as well get actual regulator that fits a 5# tank and the tank itself. The regulators are the same price and the tanks are pretty reasonable, and the refills can get annoying in medium sized tanks and up.

Any idea what it would cost to fill or swap tanks? What would you do for a diffuser I don't think i want a creamic diffuser. Would I need a canister filter for a atomizer or reactor.

Any idea what it would cost to fill or swap tanks?

Not sure about the costs for the larger tanks. A 24 oz paintball tanks costs me about $5 to refill at a local sporting goods chain. Lasts at least 4 months. If you get a regulator that fits the larger (standard) size tanks, you can use an adaptor to use paintball tanks.

Any idea what it would cost to fill or swap tanks? What would you do for a diffuser I don't think i want a creamic diffuser. Would I need a canister filter for a atomizer or reactor.

5lb tank in Chicagoland area is 18-20 to fill and/or swap.

Back
Top Bottom