Help me check my c02 levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Phosphates only come into the buffering equation at around 4 ppm and greater. It's been my experience that the vast majority of tanks rely on carbonate based buffers. And the chart is correct. What causes problems is the error factor. Many people use pH test kits that are graduated in .5° increments. Some people use pH test kits or monitors/controllers that are graduated in .2° increments. A very few people have a monitor/controller that is accurate to .1° increments.

Also the average kH test kit is either based on degrees of hardness or ppm. A half or so degree can make a huge difference in the CO2 level as can a ±.2 or more on the pH scale. Add the two factors together and you have a pretty good sized fudge factor.

Your tank being 8 ppm off is well within the range of error based on current test kit ability.

Well, today I woke up and turned my lights on, added my daily dose of potassium, and in about 5-8 minutes my plants were bubbling as hard as they were when I turned the light off last night. Could it be my test kits are indeed wrong and my c02 is higher than I thought? Also, my rams look much better. They open their fins more and seem to be showing signs of breeding!! Even my Pleco came out to say hi. Ive heard that plants can get stuck in photosynthesis. Could this be why my plants started bubbling so early? Ive never had them start up that quick.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom