Help me choose a new world cichlid...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niks93gt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking for another fish that will go in my 75 gallon amazon biotope.
My oringinal plan was:
Mated pair of angels
School of Hatchets
School of Bleeding Heart Tetras
School of Corys
1 Pleco
1 BGK

Well, a little over a week into the tank, BGK nips the corys and I noticed some fin damage so he was removed to a temporary tank. Even at 3" he was a bad boy :( so he will be getting his own tank with a common pleco.

I figure with the removal of the BGK, I have room for a group of 2-4 cichlids. Right now I have 10 Hatchetfish, 8 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 6 Peppered Corys and 1 Hypancistrus sp. L199 Pleco. I'll be adding 6 angels and keeping the mated pair.

So will I have room for a few cichlids? If so, educate me on which ones would be best. Thanks!

Nik

Rams (Bolivian and/or German Blues) and/or Apistos

I have pics!...
Cockatoo Apisto Male, Bolivian Ram Male, German Blue Ram Male
img_751056_0_e86352a263434c2237fe55d40555f54a.jpg

Well it depends. Most SA/CA cichs get pretty big, unlike most africans. If you want docile, you could go with a variety of dwarf cichlids, as JDogg mentioned, or if you want a bigger more docile species you could get Severums. I'm a big fan of Sevs, they get to be about 6"-8"max usually. A lot of New Worlds get pretty big and aggresive, I can only reccomend to stay away from Managuense (Jaguar) Cichlids, given your stock and tank.

A great addition would be keyhole cichlids. These dwarfs reach approx. 4 inches, are very peaceful and survive longer than other dwarf cichlids, 6 years. I keep 5 and am very satisfied.

I moved this to the cichlid forum.

I second the apisto idea. With the angels and the dither fish it will make a nice lively tank.

Back
Top Bottom