Help me finish stocking my tanks, please? *pics*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

odenata

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all - I have a 20 long and a 10 gallon tank that I want to finish stocking.

First, the 20 long. I currently have five peppered cories, five harlequin rasboras, and one neon blue gourami in it:

fulltank.jpg

driftwood.jpg

hasboras.jpg

gourami.jpg

I've been thinking about cherry barbs, black skirt tetras, or celestial danios, but am open to any suggestion.

The second tank is my daughter's ten gallon, with just a betta in it:

bettatank.jpg

betta.jpg

We had been talking about two or three African dwarf frogs, but I'm not so sure on that. We already tried 7 neon tetras, and the betta chased them, so I re-homed them with another aquarist. Would love to have something else in there, but I don't think my daughter would go for shrimp or snails. Ember tetras or celestial danios? Any bottom fish that might be possible other than cories?

Thanks for any suggestions! :flowers:

In the 20 I would up your Cory school to 8 and the harlequins to 8 I think you could also add 6 cherry barbs try to get 2 males 4 females.

In the 10 it sounds like a aggressive betta if it chased neons I would try 6 ember tetras if you do want to try another fish. For the bottom your fairly limited with that stock of the betta and tetras really you could only go for shrimp or snails. Or if you don't want tetras you could go for the betta and 5 kuhli loaches.

I love my cories and hasboras, so getting more of those does appeal to me, and then rounding it out with the barbs. Are barbs slower, mid-level swimmers like the hasboras?

Not sure my daughter would go for the loaches - I think she wants "prettier" fish. Maybe the ember tetras would be worth a try.

If the Betta attacked other fish the chances of it doing it again are very high. IMO your best bet would be small bottom dwellers like kuhlis or Pygmy cories. If he attacked fish he most likely will eat shrimp. Some bettas don't put up with any tank mates so have a backup plan.
(my daughter would LOVE that tank btw :))

Whats wrong with them the way they are? The less fish the better IMO. I like keeping minimum stocking centered around a centerpiece it two that i really like so it doesnt matter if its stocked to capacity.

Thanks for the suggestions and compliments, everyone!

I think I may just stick with the types of fish I already have in my tank and maybe get a few more of the cories and rasboras.

As for the betta, I suppose he's better off alone, which means I may need to get another tank for my son - we had been planning for him to have a few dwarf frogs in there, but I don't think that's a good idea.

Frogs would do better in a species only tank. What a great tank that would be for a boy!

Back
Top Bottom