Help! Milwaukee regulator shuts off on own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, my Milwaukee regulator is shutting off on its own? I unplug it and plug it back in and it begins working again. Could it be the solenoid? I just filled the co2 less than a month ago. I am having a crazy black beard algae outbreak due to this. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Does it shut off if you plug it straight into a socket or just from the timer? It's a good idea to rule out the timer otherwise it could certainly be the solenoid.

Try using a higher working pressure but lower needle valve setting. If you try to use the absolute minimum working pressure you can experience problems like you're experiencing sometimes.

CorallineAlgae said:
Does it shut off if you plug it straight into a socket or just from the timer? It's a good idea to rule out the timer otherwise it could certainly be the solenoid.

I tries that. It's not the timer because It shut off on me when it was plugged in the wall. :/

aqua_chem said:
Try using a higher working pressure but lower needle valve setting. If you try to use the absolute minimum working pressure you can experience problems like you're experiencing sometimes.

Okay I'll try that! Thanks aquachem! You have come to the rescue once again! Lol

aqua_chem said:

Now do you know the best way to rid black beard algae? It is popping up in my tank all over now? Just have a consistent co2? That's pretty much all ive gathered from research. I didn't know if you have a special trick for it?

CorallineAlgae said:
Less light is a start. What kind of lights are you using and how long are you keeping them on?

I have 2 t5ho geisemann (1 6500k and 1 aquaflora) I run them 7 hours a day.

pleechford said:
I have 2 t5ho geisemann (1 6500k and 1 aquaflora) I run them 7 hours a day.

Have you always run them for 7 hours? If so then it's possible that it's a few other things like irregular water changes, overfeeding, dirty filter media and of course co2. How are the plants doing? Any signs of a fertilizer imbalance?

Clean everything you can, do two water changes a week to keep things extra clean while you're fighting it, cut whatever leaves that are covered out of the tank, scrub it off of any decorations you can, spot treat any remaining algae with glute (Excell) and try to get your co2 levels up high enough to turn your drop checker a light green if you can.

These are the steps I took to wipe it out when it hit my tank. I also added a true Siamese algae eater and he was another help. He wouldn't have been any good without also doing every other procedure I mentioned. He does seem to help keep it from getting out of hand once you have the BBA on the run.

aqua_chem said:
Do you have an estimate of your CO2 levels?

Drop checker is a nice lime green. (5 drops of ph solution the rest 4dkh solution) i used to leave my co2 on over night though?

CorallineAlgae said:
Have you always run them for 7 hours? If so then it's possible that it's a few other things like irregular water changes, overfeeding, dirty filter media and of course co2. How are the plants doing? Any signs of a fertilizer imbalance?

Clean everything you can, do two water changes a week to keep things extra clean while you're fighting it, cut whatever leaves that are covered out of the tank, scrub it off of any decorations you can, spot treat any remaining algae with glute (Excell) and try to get your co2 levels up high enough to turn your drop checker a light green if you can.

These are the steps I took to wipe it out when it hit my tank. I also added a true Siamese algae eater and he was another help. He wouldn't have been any good without also doing every other procedure I mentioned. He does seem to help keep it from getting out of hand once you have the BBA on the run.

Yeah always the same photoperiod. I do a water change every Sunday. I do EI dosing from GLA. I just changed my dosing by half because I thought it could be too much ferts and I was string hair algae as well. Everytime I do a WC I clean my media well. I will up my co2 level when I get home from work. Would a 2nd water change during the week mess with my EI dosing?

pleechford said:
Would a 2nd water change during the week mess with my EI dosing?

As long as you do a water change and then dose, you should be fine. To be extra careful you could do it on a macronutrient day.

What size tank is this? It might very well be a light issue.

aqua_chem said:
As long as you do a water change and then dose, you should be fine. To be extra careful you could do it on a macronutrient day.

What size tank is this? It might very well be a light issue.

A 25g tall and the light is 4 inches above the tank on "pegs"

Just having gone through this experience, once u get ur CO2 working, give your tank a couple of days for the CO2 to "get back into normal". I turned off my filters and wiped the BBA off with my fingers and/or toothbrush. The clumps went to the bottom and did a water change sucking them out. So far my tank is doing good and hopfully you can live thru this "dark age" too.

image-3569275889.jpg

This my dosing schedule. I use the 10-20 gallon regime. Should I use the 20-40 gallon regime since I have a "25 gallon?" I just do not know too much about dry dosing. I don't know what's too little or too much.

Back
Top Bottom