Help! My betta is getting worse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambithegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is my betta sick?

Hi everyone

I have now had my betta for 2 weeks and he is a very active and lively healthy fish. He explores the whole tank and eats very well. He is alone in my 7 gallon tank which i completely cycled before adding him and last night I just checked ammo and nitrites for interest sake which were both zero.

Nothing has changed is his behaviour but there is this one red spot on the tip of his fins. It almost looks like something sticky stuck on there but cant figure out what it can be. His fins look healthy and not torn. Only live plants in my tank so not sure how he could have hurt himself in the tank.

Does anyone know what this might be and if I must treat it and with what?

Its hard to get a pic of it because he is so active. Will try if its a necessity.

Thanks

Or perhaps its just a bit of blood if he did somehow hurt his tail in the tank? It looks more like a small amount of blood than an actual mark on his tail. Cannot see any tears. I have a little decoration in the tank which he loves, maybe he hurt himself on that.

Has the blood streak been there since you got him?

Blood streaks can be caused by high toxin levels or trauma. My comet for some reason gets a reoccurring blood streak in exactly the same place every few months, params are spot on so no idea why it comes and goes :confused:

Unfortunately our fish are often not kept in the best conditions while in pet shops and breeders, these bad conditions can affect fish long term :(

The only thing I can suggest is a high quality diet (new life spectrum for bettas is great) and keep on top of your parameters and water changes :)

Have you also checked nitrate and PH levels?

Hi All,

Yesterday I posted a thread because I noticed a small red dot on the end of my bettas fin. No changes in behaviour and didn't worry too much but this morning he has a big tear in his fin! Here are some pics. What can I do?

Attachments

• IMG-20140122-WA000.jpg
    IMG-20140122-WA000.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG-20140122-WA001.jpg
    IMG-20140122-WA001.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG-20140122-WA002.jpg
    IMG-20140122-WA002.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 127
Is there anything at all he could be snagging his fins on in the tank, filter included?
That said, don't panic! I know how distressing it has to be to see his beautiful fins shredded, but clean water will heal them so fast, you'll be surprised. The key is isolating how it happened and keeping your water parameters pristine so no infections can set in. :) Some bettas actually tear their own fins, for reasons unknown other than their tails are so big and flowy that maybe they're the equivalent of a puppy chasing his tail. :) If nothing in the tank has any possibility at all as having snagged him, watching him for a while and see if he nips at himself.

Thank you! I feel much better. He is very active so Im sure somehow he snagged his fin on something. Ive got a piece of driftwood but I don't think its that, and the filter is a corner filter but there is enough space around for him to swim. I do water changes every week and he is the only fish in the tank. temp is good and ammonia and nitrites are zero (just tested it for interest sake) Someone on the South Africa suggested I put 2 rooibos (redbush) teabags in the tank for a few days?

Is this fin rot? And if so is a good treatment aquarium salt? I really hope to get to the bottom of it and fix it before he gets worse :)

I wouldn't add anything to the water. I don't think it's anything serious. Keep the water changes going. High water quality is the best remedy most of the time.

I agree with Hubert90. This sounds like a tear, not finrot. Clean water is the key. Keep your parameters pristine and all will be well. :) Definitely no salt or anything else.

Just for future reference, never ever add Melafix or bettafix to your tank. Some people do this when they panic about finrot or a fin tear, and are advised by a pet store. Both products can potentially kill a betta (ironic, since the product is supposed to be made for them!!) because they contain tea tree oil, which coats the water's surface. Betta's have a labyrinth organ and need to breathe oxygen from the water's surface, so the medication literally suffocates them. I know you haven't done this yet, just wanted to advise for future reference. :) I'm sure your fish will be just fine if you make sure there's nothing sharp in the tank, as you already have, and keep your water perfect. Fin tears heal in clean water within a couple weeks usually or less. Keep us posted on his progress. :)

Well up until today Matisse was doing great. His fin tear is healing quite quickly. I started soaking some of his pellets in garlic juice. That may or may not have helped. But today when I got home I noticed more of a chunk out of his tail. Not a tear. What is going on? I changed the water twice a week, i have tested nitrites and ammonia which are both zero? Other than that nothing has changed. He is still VERY active and has a very good appetite. No behavioural changes. Just the chunk missing from his tail! Please help.

Well up until today Matisse was doing great. His fin tear is healing quite quickly. I started soaking some of his pellets in garlic juice. That may or may not have helped. But today when I got home I noticed more of a chunk out of his tail. Not a tear. What is going on? I changed the water twice a week, i have tested nitrites and ammonia which are both zero? Other than that nothing has changed. He is still VERY active and has a very good appetite. No behavioural changes. Just the chunk missing from his tail! Please help.

Mm what kinda filter are u using?

I have a corner filter (know many people have suggested I change to Aquaclear 20, which I will when I can find a second hand one, they are expensive here) with ceramic noodles and filter sponge. He likes swimming in the bubbles at the outlet, maybe thats a bit rough on him?

I have a corner filter (know many people have suggested I change to Aquaclear 20, which I will when I can find a second hand one, they are expensive here) with ceramic noodles and filter sponge. He likes swimming in the bubbles at the outlet, maybe thats a bit rough on him?

Could you please take a photo of the filter as well as a few full tank shot for me? Thanks

Oh, Maybe even the new injury on your poor Betta.

Thanks Hubert, will do in the morning, as my phone is useless. I cant figure our whats going on. I have one piece of driftwood, live plants, some smooth rocks and the filter. How on earth that happened I have no idea. Not to mention he is alone in the tank! Will post pics soon

Couldn't do pics this morning. Just a thought, could it be temp related? Temp is at 80 degrees F/That should be fine right?

The temperature sounds fine. A few things come to mind. One is that he snagged his tail on the filter--that's fairly common and is why it's suggested filters for bettas be baffled. Can you run a clean nylon stocking over the driftwood? If it snags, you know that's very possibly the culprit. That's a great way to test to make sure tank décor is betta-fin safe. My other thought is that he actually tore his tail himself. Sometimes bettas nip at their long fins and tails. Whatever the reason, keep his water very clean and he should heal up quickly. you're doing a great job. :)

Thanks Greta, just to scared its fin rot which I don't think is an option in such a clean tank :) Im going to do the stocking test. And you might possibly be right, he might be nipping himself, he is a bit crazy and is not still for a second except when he is resting.
Perhaps a bit bored too, im planning on getting some dwarf corys this weekend. Maybe that will keep him busy!

A clean pingpong ball (very clean) is something some betta owners have found their fish like. :) I doubt it's finrot, but I understand the fear. Anytime my comets get a hint of anything off with their fins, the automatic alarm goes: Fin rot? Fin rot? FIN ROT??:oops:

Here are some pics of Matisse now. Still no change in appetite and behaviour. But his fins look a bit worse for wear. Ive included a pic of the whole tank and the filter

Attachments

• IMG_1960.jpg
    IMG_1960.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1961.jpg
    IMG_1961.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1963.jpg
    IMG_1963.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1964.jpg
    IMG_1964.jpg