Help, my fish are shaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's fine after washing with bleach water rinse with clean tap water and leave to dry your be fine. I see poor friend your now having trouble with your other tank not the Angels anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes it seems to be one thing after another, but good thing I am learning a lot. I still think it was the angels I got from that store, and I didn't realize I should only add about 2-3 at a time. The angels from there were purchased during 3 visits, 2 long veil, then 1 and 1 in 2 trips over 2 days. I would've thought that was ok, the long veils held on the longest a few weeks. I did replace them, got 5 at same time, lost 2.. Lesson learned add S L O W L Y.
Thank you for the reply on the bleach, I thought I read that and that key was to be sure supplies were dry before using. So in your opinion do you think I should break this tank down and start over? Move the few I have in a bucket with an air stone? I honestly feel keeping them in there they will all die, the fry seem to be handling this the best. That's does surprise me.

You could put what's left in another tank and quarantine what's left for another week or 2 depending if it's a already established tank that's been up and running if so do it and I would say do a 25% water change every 2 days for first week of having them quarantined depending on size of tank also add a bit of stress ease to water when changing it help with stress and loss of slim coat and help with new waters chlorine cutting that down when adding stress easy. If they have white fuzzy patches add a bit of super ick will help kill parasite that ick is. But you will also have to raise temp slowly helps kill ick from reproducing. Then take down original infected tank clean all sand and decorations and let to dry then restart it up and have it cycle theirs different Chem that added to new water that will help new bacteria good bacteria grow which established tanks have I once done usually give it a week once done and then add fish but make sure fish are fine no symptoms of ick before adding

We are rooting for you! Glad to hear the bleaching supplies was the way to go. It is clear you really care about your fish and we have ALL learned the hard way.

Out of curiosity, is buying a new glass/acrylic part of the set-up a possibility? That was what I did when I had to start over after columnarus with my one survivor. I think I told you about that. I had to choose between keeping him in the same glass and water that I could never get right which also may have had bad stuff still in it or put him in a new tank that was not cycled (transferred the heater and filter) with some quick start and hold my breath. I chose the new un cycled water tank and he thrived.

But that was just me. I would say maybe you could do the bucket thing and clean the existing tank, pour in new water, add quick start, and try that. But, I don't know how long the cleaning process takes and it seems like you have to let everything dry completely. That was the beauty of using a new glass part - which I was fortunate enought to get brand new for 20$ US.

I'm just telling you my story, but am for sure not advising you to do the same. Your gut instinct will kick in soon. You are getting a lot of information from people and I hope you aren't getting overwhelmed. :eek:

No need to buy a new tank and items just clean them really good and allow to dry if using a bleach water solution while your treating quarantined fish that's what I did when I had a problem like you had many years ago

Aces and Novicesfter- thank you both so much!!! I just checked and most of my fish are acting normal like they should be. I have a few who are still just hanging out but most are swimming normally. I will continue to medicate, will do a very gentle PWC today and hope things don't turn for the worse again. I don't plan on adding anything to this tank for a while. I want to give my remaining fish room to thrive and grow. I realize now how overstocked I was. Maybe this was natures way of getting me to slow down.
You ask if getting a QT tank is practical for me, with my size apt, my budget, and I also have the 29 gal, it's not feesable. My option would be to use the 20 gal as qt. Who knows, if my angels do well and make a pair I would consider turning the 20 into a more decorative heavier planted and could use that. Assuming I reach that point and choose to do that. I'm still new and find livebearers and their fry amazingly beautiful. I know LAME. For now I'll see how the little ones I have left do, and try and figure out how to control these dang snails! Never bought a snail but I have a few in each tank. Grrrrr

Not a problem might just finally be balancing it's self out. Snails probably were hitch hackers from plants take a old glass jar with a metal lid make holes in top so snails can go in place some like alage wafer or a few shrimp pellets in and let bottle fill with tank water place on bottom of tank on side and over time snails will go in the jar for food and as they go in remove them

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411920999.357740.jpg
Looks like this when done it works on getting some

Hey that's a great idea. What do you do with the snails once you remove the jar, or more bluntly how do you kill them? I did take 3 out of my 29 gal last night. It's my understanding they multiply like crazy- which is why I never bought them. 1 hitchhiker was ok but geesh. I have a glass jar I was going to toss in recycles, now I'll use it as a snail snagger.
Just finished PWC in the 20 gal sick tank. Some look better some not looking to good. 1 oto has almost completely lost his black stripe. ? I'm confidant it's going to work out for the best.

I actually crush them and feed to my larger breeding Angels but you could just toss in trash or toss in yards and let birds eat them just watch if they get really out of hand it's cause of to much extra food

Oh when baiting jar try not to put any alage wagers around in tank so the snails go to jar for food

Humm ok. I don't think my angels are big enough. So I'll toss for the birds and wildlife. Since you mentioned algae wafers, I've never used them, all I do is give them tropical flakes, I just bought bloodworms but don't give much because I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. You must be a long time aquarist?

I've kept many types and breed many fish not just Angels. I was talking to you on a earlier post trying to help you but I've noticed some people think they know things and don't know jack and like to argue so I left that section everyone has their ways but all you can do is give your advice and experiences you had. I know a lot of people on here are always saying they test nitrates and this and that I have over 10 tanks I don't test for crap I don't even change my water in my heavily planted 120 with lots of fish I add water every 2 days. I use 2 canister filters to keep clean the tank which do great my fish are healthy and always breeding when you do have experience over time you can tell if something is wrong I do have some meds which I do use very really it happeneds but I don't loss fish either I believe like maybe 6 months ago I lost a Fabio due to age he was really old around 3 to 4 years old. I even have 3 proven pairs of Angels in my 120 with 4 month old Angels and their fine in that tank I also have guarmis, lots of diff tetra lots of different loaches different plecosImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411929668.294581.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411929706.634132.jpg

Here's my holder 55 with some older baby Angels I sell locallyImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411929870.884939.jpg
These are about 4 months little guys
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411929920.488787.jpg
These grey onces are about 8 months already pairing trying to breed

Wow those are amazing. For the most part I can get a pretty good feel for who knows what they are talking about. I also remember those people and I know that you have helped me on a few occasions. I have had horrible luck with most fish I've had, I did well with tetras but they kind of bored me I thought they would be more active and fun to watch. I'm trying angels so far I have lost a lot. I bought 5 from one store over a week time, they all died within 4 days. Store, family business, did nothing. Going to wait and see how the 3 I have now do, 1 I've had a month or so. The 20 gal, sickness may be a blessing. Guppies are another fish I can't seem to keep. Anyway,what you say about the water parimaters I agree totally. I understand the ammonia being important but I don't know what anything else means. I don't know much about fish but I would think a healthy fish would do good in clean and healthy tank. We all use tap water ( well most people do), and the make up of that water is consistent week to week. I don't believe adding chemicals to change the water is the best choice. Compare it to us, if always given medicine we become immune to it, and it no longer works. Sorry for the rant, I'm probably all wrong with my theory.
I wonder how long it takes to get the hang of this. I got a 10 gal in idk April and I'm still having a hard time keeping my fish happy and thriving. I wonder if I do to much at once. I now know I was way overstocked in the 20 gal. I don't even know the right place to put plants or how to siphon sand without uprooting the plants.
You must spend hours a day with keeping up with you fish, fry, eggs. I'm sure very rewarding in the end, and an honor that you have found a store to sell them to. You do a fantastic job and your so modest about it. Your not on here saying you know this or that, you offer your advice the same way I would. Well I warn people I'm new. Lol.

Yeah I know meds I always use al last resort theirs no need to medicate every little thing waste. Don't sweat it, it takes time to learn a nice balance. Read up bit by bit take alittle here and their. If anything down line drop me a hook will try my best to give my experience. Take care and give a 1 day at a time. Oh yeah and yup it's sometime it does take I always do if for the love of the hobby hey could always do worst and get in to trouble out their lol happy fish keeping

Thanks Aces!!! It's truly been a pleasure chatting and seeing your beautiful babies. I've gotten a lot out of this and made a fish keeper friend. ☺️

I know what you mean aces, help from noobs and or petchain stores employees is worse than no help at all, i run into it all the time, they have enthusasim for the hobby but not enough knowlage to help people, it amazes me how often people that are maybe 1 year or so into the hobby give so much bad advice to people, they always say, water quality, when really all you need to worry about is ammonia. I like to help people too, and i been doing this for 5 years now and i do it just so people don't waste their money or give up on the hobby.

I know what you mean aces, help from noobs and or petchain stores employees is worse than no help at all, i run into it all the time, they have enthusasim for the hobby but not enough knowlage to help people, it amazes me how often people that are maybe 1 year or so into the hobby give so much bad advice to people, they always say, water quality, when really all you need to worry about is ammonia. I like to help people too, and i been doing this for 5 years now and i do it just so people don't waste their money or give up on the hobby.

Hey guys. As long as we reveal we aren't the most experienced or an expert by any means, give us a little credit :(:). We are just trying to be supportive too.

I never say I know it all I know a few tricks as I say but always willing to pass on my experience take alittle or a lot it's always up to you

Back
Top Bottom