Help!! My GH is 180mg/L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashleighbrooke

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My black mystery snails shells were turning white and seemed to be becoming unhealthy so I was recommended to add some crushed coral to the filter to add calcium to the water.
I have a 37 gallon tank and added a little less than 1/4 cup of crushed coral to the filter and soon after I checked my water and the KH was normal, but the GH went from its normal 30mg/L to 180mg/L. Is this dangerous for my fish (i have gourami, skirt tetras, and a couple plecos)? Is there anything I can do to lower it besides a water change? I just recently did a water change within the past week.

I wouldnt recommend raising it through one intervention, and then trying to lower it through a different intervention. All you will end up doing is having water parameters bouncing all over the place, and its the fluctuations rather than the actual level that is harmful to fish. Fish are adaptable varying water conditions.

Are you seeing any issues with your fish?

Was there an issue with the KH before you added the crushed coral?

Maybe feeding your snail with a calcium rich diet rather than adding calcium carbonate into the water would have been a better way to go. Or maybe a piece of cuttlefish bone would have released calcium carbonate into the water slower and in a more controlled manner.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom