Help my glowlight tetra please:(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Get some white cloud mountain minnows, they're the hardiest little fish I've ever kept. One fell out of the bucket when I was emptying it in the middle of doing a drip acclimatization. Being a little fish, I was having difficulties picking it up, it flapped around for at least a couple of minutes before I was able to pick it up with a tissue. I thought it was a goner for sure being this tiny little fish, but it's been doing very well so far in my snail tank. I had another similar experience with another white cloud mountain minnow the other day while moving my tank, and fell out and flapped around for a minute before I was able to pick it up, it's still going strong, this one wasn't even stressed out, I put him back into the water and he acted like nothing ever happened.

As you guys may be able to tell, I had some things come up. I wasn't able to return the fish, and I do not thing the store would allow me to anyway. I have started 10% water changes daily. The water is now crystal clear, so the dirty issue is no longer an issue. Everyone seems to be fine now and my platy never did show any problems. Thanks for all of the help!

Good, but are you testing the water with a test kit every day? You want to keep ammonia and nitrite under .25 at all times; this may require a larger pwc. Test the water and let the test kit dictate when and how much to do water changes. Clear water doesn't mean anything as far as toxins that may be present that you can't see. :) I don't know if I've shown you the links in my signature: new tank with fish and what it cycling. Those will help. Good luck.

I will go get a testing kit; any idea how much they are?

and yes you have shown me your links, so i will use that as a reference from now on. I have it book marked:)

They are usually about 35$ in stores. You can get them for 20$ online, but you need it asap.

Even if your fish LOOK ok, it doesn't mean they are. The water (if not properly cycled) is literally toxic to fish. If it doesn't kill them now, it will usually damage their gills or at least reduce their immune system.

Two posts up, Librarygirl has all the links you need. Check this one out for sure: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

You should just keep us updated on this thread and listen to her advice.

(Remember, most everyone on this forum started like this one day. I for one did, but after listening to advice on this forum my tanks are all fantastic) :)

gl!

Back
Top Bottom