Help my platy please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 3 red platys in my 10 gallon I'm getting a 40 gallon in less than a month I'm really excited but one of my platys is acting weird. It's always been a bit thinner and less active than the other ones but now occasionally it swims sideways for a few seconds then swim normally. Please help what do I do? Water changes and everything are consistant it's just her that's acting weird! Help pls

What are your current water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Has she been eating normal? Have there been any new additions or changes in the tank as of late? Were there any signs of bullying?

bud29 said:
What are your current water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Has she been eating normal? Have there been any new additions or changes in the tank as of late? Were there any signs of bullying?

Not sure about parameters but my guess is that everything is 0 since I have a lot of sensitive fish in there and they're all doing great, and I do weekly 50% water changes.

No eating problems.

The male has been bullying her a ton though, maybe that's it?

You need to buy a freshwater mater test kit, or at the very least some sort of test. If all is well you actually should not have 0-0-0, you should see some sort of nitrate production from the beneficial bacteria you're supposed to have in a cycled tank. How long has your tank been set up and did you cycle it properly?

Zimmanski said:
You need to buy a freshwater mater test kit, or at the very least some sort of test. If all is well you actually should not have 0-0-0, you should see some sort of nitrate production from the beneficial bacteria you're supposed to have in a cycled tank. How long has your tank been set up and did you cycle it properly?

Ok not to sound annoyed but I hate going through this, my tank has been up for over 6 months and I cycled it when I got it. I'm aware that ammonia and nitrite should be 0 and nitrate should be above it I just misworded. I'll test the nitrates though

Whatever it is parameters is probably not the problem. It may be the bullying or some inner disease if I could determine what it is then I could execute it before it gets worse

Ok not to sound annoyed but I hate going through this, my tank has been up for over 6 months and I cycled it when I got it. I'm aware that ammonia and nitrite should be 0 and nitrate should be above it I just misworded. I'll test the nitrates though

Well you said you cycled it but without a kit how do you know? Hopefully you had one at one time and just haven't gotten a new one. It could be early stages of swim bladder problems which is usually a water problem.

Bobjoefredsky said:

If you're annoyed then I assume you've heard someone tell you to get a test kit before, not my fault, I was just giving advice on this forum called aquariumadvice.com. A test kit is one of the easiest ways to tell if something is going on with your water because no one can see these toxins and its not safe to just assume that your parameters are "okay". By all means, if you don't want one then don't get one, but don't get annoyed when someone suggests getting one. Good luck with your fish.

If you're annoyed then I assume you've heard someone tell you to get a test kit before, not my fault, I was just giving advice on this forum called aquariumadvice.com. A test kit is one of the easiest ways to tell if something is going on with your water because no one can see these toxins and its not safe to just assume that your parameters are "okay". By all means, if you don't want one then don't get one, but don't get annoyed when someone suggests getting one. Good luck with your fish.

Ok now I just did another water change and I got out a lot of dirt but now all my platys are at the surface blowing bubbles including the platy fry! None of the neons are acting weird but I'm very worried I hope it's not a disease. Here's a picture

image-3544946782.jpg

As you can see the dry and all the platys are at the top acting strange and the tetras are doing fine. I find it highly weird that every fish of one particular species are doing the same thing and none of the other types of fish are

Were you sure to use and correctly dose with a water conditioner before your water change?

Were you sure to use and correctly dose with a water conditioner before your water change?

Yeah. But I think I found the problem! I separated the male and now both are swimming actively and underwater again! I think the sickly one was just being bullied

If you have an aquarium store nearby most will test your water for you if you bring them a sample

Back
Top Bottom