Help on Puntius Denisonii (Red Line Torpedo Barb)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swozzie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just bought 4 Red Line Torpedo Barbs. One of them is slightly different - the other 3 seem to have a split in the dorsal fin, it's in the same place and the same length on all 3. Also, their black stripe seems to turn downwards between their eye and their nose resulting in a redder nose than the other one. The different one also differs slightly in his behaviour, he tends to nudge the other 3 with his nose (maybe he caused the "splits" in the other dorsal fin) and hang back a bit more from the others. His red line is also paler than the others. He is also the biggest of the 4.

Could this be a male/female difference or is he a slightly different species or simply from a different part of the river?

Does anyone know where I can find out more on this species?

Any help much appreciated...
Mark Baldwin

swozzie...

I've had a couple of Puntius denisonii in my tank for a few months now and they've been great fish. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of information available on these fish and there are no known external sex differences. They have not been spawned in captivity. As far as I know there aren't any subspecies or similar species of this barb. They are a relatively recent addition to the aquarium hobby which is why there isn't much information on them.

maybe the other one is a boy/girl different of the others. or it just would of been the runt of the group.

Back
Top Bottom