Help on stocking...!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paula72

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 36 gallon bowfront with 7 platies all females(1 red wag, 1 sunburst mickey mouse, 2 blue mickey mouse, 2 orange and 1 dalmation) and 3 zebra danios that I had to cycle my tank. Wondering what I could add to my tank that is colorful and peaceful. I might start another 29 gallon soon and move my danios as one likes to nip the platies.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131101_122713.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131101_122713.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 80
I would love a centerpiece if possible. I just want to keep my platies happy so nothing that will stress them :)

Normally I'd suggest a gourami, but I think the danios might nip it's fins.
An angel might work, or maybe a pair of rams since you don't have any fish that occupy the lower portion of the tank.

Is my tank big enough for an angel? I would love that! I wasn't sure if they were compatible with platies. The Danios are going back to the store or if I decide to brave another tank not sure aha!.. this tank is for my autistic son to calm him and the danios are way to hyper :)

I have an angel in my 36 bowfront along with a few mollies and they get along great- although my angel is about 6" tall. I consider mollies and platys to have very similar personalities :)

I will definitely look into an Angel. I added 5 platies about 4 days ago. How long before I can add anything?

It depends. How long has your tank been set up, and how did you cycle it?
What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

About 5 weeks. Nutrafin mini masterkit gives 0 amonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates(with a faint hint of color that is hardly noticable) this am. Water change was done yesterday morning.

I cycled with fish as 5 weeks ago(before staying up all nights reading and reading and reading lol)I was clueless about aquarium, fish and care. The pet stores aren't much help. I am no expert but now I search this forum for all my questions :)

Well the zero nitrate is a bit odd, normally cycled tanks have nitrate. Did you observe an ammonia spike, nitrite spike, then those going down to zero, and a raise in nitrates during your cycle?
And do you have any live plants?

No I was getting my water tested at petsmart till I bought the kit a few days ago. Do you think my tank hasn't cycled yet? Now I'm concerned again. At the store they only told me to get hardy fish and wait a couple weeks before adding more fish. I brought my water in on 3 different times and all was good. They said to do water change every month (10%). I have been reading up in here and have been doing a 25% water change every 2 days just to be safe until I purchased the kit. I was only feeding 1x daily to help while waiting for cycling. How do I know when my tank cycles? My fish are actually thriving 2 having way nicer color than at the store. I have 2 filters going the one with the tank is aqueon for 40 gallon and a aquaclear 70 and a small uv sterelizer for crystal clear water. Help!! Lol

Oh an no live plabts yet but the more I'm reading on aquatiums the more I'm thinking of java moss? I think.. and other low lights plants. I need to keep educating myself I guess. This hobby is turning out to be a stress instesd of a stress reliever haha :)

As a general rule, pet store employees don't know what they're talking about, their first priority is making $$. It's normally recommended to change 50% of the water each week, and more often during cycling. Here are a few articles to guide you in the right direction:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-jus...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/ http://www.aquariumadvice.com/tips-and-tricks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/ It's true fish keeping is a lot more work than most people know, but once your tank is cycled, and you get into a routine of water changes, it is actually quite enjoyable and relaxing to watch your beautiful fish happily swimming around in your aquarium, knowing that your hard work has paid off to make a healthy environment for them! :) Good job on the frequent water changes despite the pet store's bad advice though- I'm sure that's saved your fish!

I will read them tonight. Thanks for your replies!! For sure not adding anything else now. I am already enjoying them now...fingers cross they keep thriving and stay healthy!! :(

Just keep up those water changes to keep nitrites and ammonia below .25ppm and I'm sure they'll be fine! You're doing great so far:)

I had 2 AF with my Platys & I had to get them their own 50g tank because they got very aggressive when I fed. Angels are in the cichlid family. I then got a pair of Bolivian rams for the Platy tank, it s been a few months & they do fine with the Platys. Just my experience :).

I looked up Rams. They are nice! How do you feed them different diets in the same tank as platies? I feed the platies tropical fish tetra color and frozen bloodworms. Would rams have the same diet? While I'm asking questions...is it true that platies should have an algea base food?

I looked up Rams. They are nice! How do you feed them different diets in the same tank as platies? I feed the platies tropical fish tetra color and frozen bloodworms. Would rams have the same diet? While I'm asking questions...is it true that platies should have an algea base food?

First of all, if you don't have any nitrates, than your tank isn't cycled, unless you just did a HUGE water change (I mean like 80+%). Secondly, for rams, you would probably want to feed a sinking pellet. What I did is feed my other fish on the left side of the tank, and drop 2 or 3 pellets on the right side. My rams got at least 1 or 2 of them. But the ram can still eat flakes, and would sure appreciate bloodworms! Freeze dried brine shrimp works well too. Just make sure that you test for at least nitrates, at least once a week (after you know your tank is cycled).

And yes, I've heard platies enjoy algae, but I don't think it's necessary. I'm pretty sure they'll eat diatoms too, and you'll almost certainly get them! :D

If you're that worried about algae, you can buy algae wafers. They aren't that expensive, and I'm sure your platies will eat them. Just throw one in once a week. It should take them a day or two to eat!

Thanks!! I won't be adding anything until I know for sure I'm cycled. I am doing water change every couple days about 25% to 40%. The amonia was at 0.6 with the nutrifin test kit this am. New at this and a little worried...I have read the links and I'm feeling a little more confident. :) I use Prime now as well, I hope I am doing this right!!

Back
Top Bottom