Help on tank stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Midnightrose27

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I just found the site so firstly hello :):)

I brought my first fish yesterday, I have a 180l tank and currently have 3 rosy barbs, 4 leopard danios and 3 varuis platy. I've been doing some reading and it says rosy barbs should be kept in schools of at least 5-6 and that this will help reduce boisterous behaviour. I possibly want to add guppies in the future so any help or advice would be appreciated. Also I currently have no plant life within my tank need to know if this is recommended or if I should go without.

First thing is, you don't want to add fish too quickly. I would get between 3 and 6 at a time. Wait a week or so and check ammonia levels to make sure they are safe before adding more fish. but what i suggest is making a decent sized school of the barbs(10 orso). Then pick out other fish to go with them. good options would be tetras but in groups, dwarf gouramis, swordtails, platties.

If you want to get a Pleco, beware because they release a lot of waste and should only add a pleco and nothing else

Also their are catfish and cory cats that stay at the bottom that are great fish to keep. you could have just 1 redtailed shark.

Back
Top Bottom